1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WHY THE HELL HASN'T MIKE RICE BEEN FIRED YET?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Apr 2, 2013.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Did all of these incidents occur in one practice? And does 20 examples of physically and verbally abusing kids count as a "first-time offense."

The hell with getting fired. If my kid is one of the ones getting kicked, punched, pushed and hit in the head with a ball, we're pressing charges to assault.

2. Correct me if i'm wrong here but the players didn't report him...? None have spoken out against him since the video has been outted or have i missed something here? Do we really think it was malicious? Yes the situation needs to be addressed I'm not saying it is okay, I'm just saying......

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It's unclear from the story whether the AD said that at the time of Rice's suspension - or said it a day or two ago in response to the OTL story.

The difference being that if it was said in December, it was said with the intention of concealing the violence eventually revealed by the videotape.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Another coverup in college sports....

If people can't learn from Penn State, what will it fucking take?

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Fear of getting kicked off the team and losing their scholarships is a powerful motivator to keep silent.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Some interesting connect the dots here. The whistle blower Eric Murdock played at Providence College. His Freshman year coach in '87/'88 was Gordie Chiesa who was fired after that season supposedly after players went to AD John Marianato and complained that Chiesa was too tough on them. Marty Conlin who went on to play in The NBA actually quit the team because of Chiesa.
    Jeff Van Gundy was an assistant coach on that team.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Rice will be fired by end of week.

8. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Does the AD survive? That's the most interesting question for me here. Can you dump a guy who just moved heaven and earth to get you in the Big 10? I would hope so, but we'll see.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Tell all this to Tyler Clementi's family; I'm sure they'd love to know that throwing rubber balls at athletes are the real problem here, not the flinging of harmless slurs.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If Rice wasn't 15-16 and 5-13 in the Big East this year, no one would give a shit.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, lots of bullying goes unreprted. What's your point?

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Actually, it was within the hour. ... I just heard he was canned.

Draft saved Draft deleted