1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why So Bitter, Herb? 2014 Edition (page 14)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Re: Why So Bitter, Herb? 2013 March Madness Edition (page 14)

Seconded.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Second chance Sweet 16 brackets?
    I remember a country where if your NCAA bracket was shredded you lived with it and sucked it up.
    That country was America.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

East Region:
    Charoset got jobbed with a 5 seed, should be ranked higher.
    Thinking Chicken Soup will upset top-seeded matzoh for the regional title

West:
    Gifilte Fish got hosed. No way should it be a No.15. Predicting it will pull a Florida Gulf Coast and advance to the Sweet 16. Might even make it to the regional final before falling to Floating Matzoh Balls.

Southeast:
    Matzoh Pizza will emerge as regional champion as a 3 seed after a tough first-round matchup with Manichewitz wine (shoot me, I like that wine)

Southwest:
    The regional final will come down to 5 vs. 6 (Hillel sandwich vs. matzoh brie), with Hillel sandwich capturing the region.

Semis:
    matzoh balls over chicken soup
    matzoh pizza over hillel sandwich

Champion:
    Matzoh balls

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. EStreetJoe

Hag Semach and good yuntif to all my fellow members of the tribe.
    Seder No. 1 last night was good fun at the rabbi's house (when your wife is the education director at a synagogue, you get invited to the rabbi's house for a seder). With seven kids there under the age of 10 - including three under 6 - he knew to keep fun, lively and how to keep things moving.

My wife, son & my mother-in-law flew out to California this morning to visit my sister-in-law (and have a psuedo-seder out there), leaving me behind (long story). One of the other members of the shul invited me over for seder and I accepted, so that's where I'm going for round 2. It figures the week I have the house to myself would be Passover :)

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

i feel as if i've fast-forwarded to the sad end of 'avalon,' the very fine barry levinson film... until last year we'd hosted my famly's seder, attended my mom and dad, my sister's family of 4, my cousin's family of 3 and usually another family to-be-determined by which of our friends had no plans.... but now that my m.s. has left me pretty much confined to my bedroom in a hospital bed i refuse to have mrs. shockey carry on the tradition -- so the seder has moved to my sister's, about 40 miles away, so we remain home ad barely even acknowledge the holiday. we're now more of an easter sunday family with mrs. shockey's family. which is fine. but i am absolutely grateful that my disability only kicked in fairly recently, so our sons (now 23, 20 and 18) have memories of gefilte fish and afikoman-hunts past.

6. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Our seder broke up when my Yankees-obsessed cousin cited Mike Francesa as an authority. On what, I have no idea. ;D

Their dog ate the afikomen.

7. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

My favorite Passover tradition is reading about how 21's Seder unfolded.

Waiting for a new (burnt) offering.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Two words that just do not go to together:
    Happy Passover.

'Happy Passover! Enjoy the plagues!'
    'Happy Pesach, hope your first born makes it!
    'Happy passover, there's a creepy homeless bum at the door looking for free wine!'

Hope yours was at least peaceful, and maybe just a little treif.
    xo 21

9. EStreetJoe

Last night was the long seder - and a long drive to get to it. Plus it was a vegetarian's house. Beet on the seder plate in place of the shank bone, no matzoh ball soup (but some kind of zucchini soup instead), salmon as the main course, no kugles, but lots of vegetable side dishes and a potato side).
    Tonight is the short-form version and we're hosting.

Yesterday - surprisingly little traffic for a rush-hour drive from central NJ through NYC to arrive in time for a 6:30 seder. The seder was as long as the meal I think. Seder started late and we didn't leave until 11 something. Lots of Hebrew, supplemental English readings, two kids songs, and Debbie Friedman's "Miriam's Song".
    Today - Not sure of the format we're using yet, but it will be significantly shorter than last night.

Will wait until tomorrow to make my first batch of matzoh brie.
    Will wait until lunchtime to see if I can get little E to do matzoh pizza. He actually likes matzoh a lot and likes pizza the rest of the year, so he should like matzoh pizza.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I led my first Seder last night. Could've been tighter but I'd do it again now that I'm not so nervous about it.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Re: Why So Bitter, Herb? (Happy Passover, if that's possible.)

Irv's gone missing, and during Passover, no less:

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

They tried to kill us. We won. Let's eat. My Seders are longer, but not by much.

We had about 25 the first night and 15 the second. Mrs. W made 25 pounds of brisket, which was fantastic and a lot of new desserts, which were iffy.

Draft saved Draft deleted