1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

finding databases of email addresses for local sports reporters

Discussion in 'Online Journalism' started by Statsman, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Statsman

Statsman New Member

i am trying to create a database of high school sports reporters in select states to make it easier for coaches to send them game results. Does anyone have any suggestions for where i might be able to find that information? thank you

2. Maybe you should google every school and take it from there?

3. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

My first reaction is good luck with this. Covering high schools is the entry-level job in sports journalism, and as such, the reporters covering high schools are constantly changing -- especially at small and medium-sized outlets. I know of a few preps writers at both large and small outlets that have stuck around for a while. But generally the faces are always changing on the prep beat.

Your best bet might be to contact the state associations and see if they have mailing lists they might be willing to share. In a couple states where I worked, the state association would send newsletters, rulebooks, state tournament schedules, etc., to media outlets that covered high schools.

If you have any luck improving the rate at which high school coaches voluntarily submit their info to local outlets (voluntarily, meaning without reporters having to call -- and call and call and call -- to ask for it) please let us know. It's hit and miss ... some coaches are diligent about it. Others just don't care enough to do it -- no matter how many tools and technologies you give them to make it easier.

My last thought is the same as my first: good luck.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

In some states the paper insists on having the coach upload the results to a website instead of e-mail.

5. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

We contact coaches before each season and give them our generic sports address to e-mail information that the clerks and desk monitor at night. We discourage sending to specific e-mail addresses because if that person is off or at a game themselves, no one will see the information.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

A lot of shops have an address like sports@dailyshopper.com they use for taking results and stats.

7. Douglas

Douglas Member

If you need any scores for any HS in the state of Arkansas, let me know... I tech Admin for one of the largest HS Prep Sports Websites and we provide real time updates to the scoreboard on the front page of the site.

This would eliminate the need of you having to track down reporters for 200+ schools. :D

Reach out to me via any of the methods in my sig.

Draft saved Draft deleted