1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concerts thread: Best/Worst/Next/Last one you attended?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Aug 1, 2007.

1. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Saw Yes at the Midland in KC the other night. Played three of their 70s albums in their entirety. Howe can still bring it. Wasn't a huge fan of Yes growing up but very talented group.

2. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Is Jon Anderson back with them?

3. Hard Rock Calling Festival 2011 - Hyde Park London U.K

Headliners: Bon Jovi, Rod Stewart, and The Killers

Awesome Festival.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Sat in the eighth row last Tuesday to watch the Allman Brothers at the Beacon Theatre in NYC. Had never seen them before and the band was on fire, Gregg seemed to be in good shape and his voice was terrific, Derek Trucks was just phenomenal (probably the best guitarist I have ever seen live) and Warren Haynes was fantastic too. Heard many of my faves and Steve Earle showed up to do two songs. Great venue too. Bets non-Springsteen show I have ever seen.

5. Machine Head

They've been doing the Beacon run for over 20 years now, right?

How was the venue? I've never been.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Started in 1989 according to Wiki, missed a year when Gregg was sick and had to move to a different venue a few years ago.

Venue is great, I was talking to a Beacon vet who said it was a bit of a dump that would be just crazy with drugs and booze for Allmans shows until Jim Dolan and the MSG people put a pile of money into it to renovate it. Sound is great, plenty of leg room, reminds me an awful lot of Massey Hall here in Toronto.

From what I read on various Allmans message board the night I was there was one of the better shows of the run. Tickets were not cheap (a contact with the Rangers helped me source them) but they were worth every dime.

7. Machine Head

Sounds like a great place. I'd love to get there some day.

Googled up the show and read they did "Copperhead Road" with Earle. That must have been cool.

Trucks has come through here last few summers with Susan and their band. Hope to catch them next time. They do a great version of "Everybody's Talkin'."

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

It was a bit sloppy - "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" was better - but Earle's voice fits in perfectly with them. Huge fan of his, never seen him, that was a massive bonus.

Love the records Derek and Susan have done (their live album is suburb, she is a first-rate, powerhouse singer and a pretty good guitarist too), they were here last summer for the Toronto jazz fest, no idea how the hell I missed them. Won't miss them again.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

The Beacon is fantastic. I've seen a couple shows there and it's definitely one of my favorite NYC venues.

10. Saw Jason Aldean at the Houston Rodeo.

...eh

11. Machine Head

Huggy, I put the live album on after I saw your first post.

YGBFKM thinks it's Dirty Hippie music, but I like it! :D

Going to see a blues guy, Popa Chubby, this weekend.

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

No. The singer now, Jon Davison, is ok, but my interest in Yes is more musically driven. Howe and Squire, specifically. I love the bass tracks in some of their early stuff, and Howe was still Howe.

Draft saved Draft deleted