1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter -- Youngstown, Ohio, Vindicator

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Mar 7, 2013.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1158756

The Vindicator in Youngstown, OH, seeks reporter applicants for two positions at our 55K Sunday/daily — a sports reporter and a news reporter.
    The ideal candidates will be well-versed in current digital reporting trends and tools. But you must also demo the time-tested skills of storytelling, sourcing and news instincts.
    While we'd like someone with a couple years under their belts, we'd also consider a recent grad with top-notch skills.
    Like our industry, we are a company in tremendous transition and fighting some tough economic circumstances.
    No whiners, please; just winners.
    If you're this person, please consider us. Email a resume, 10- 12 clips and 4 professional references to Editor Todd Franko at tfranko@vindy.com. (No phone calls, please.)

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

10 to 12 clips? That's the most I've ever seen a paper ask for.

3. No whiners, just winners.

4. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

Lived in Ohio most of my life, and I wouldn't move to Youngstown with a gun to my head.
    That, by the way, is a very predictable scenario for anyone who does move to Youngstown.

5. JoeScalzo

JoeScalzo New Member

I'm going to stop this nonsense before it starts. I've worked at the Vindicator for almost 12 years and unless you're planning to move to the South Side and start a drug habit, you'll be fine here.

Youngstown has nice suburbs, just like everywhere else in America, and an emerging downtown.

Youngstown has its downsides, just like everywhere else in America, but this is a good job. The sports editor, Ed Puskas, is a great guy and there's lots to cover here.

6. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

Joe speaks the truth. I've been driving to and from downtown Youngstown almost every day for seven months, and doing so at various times of the day and night, and never had a problem.

I have also seen most of the rest of the city over the years and I and can vouch for Joe's take. Great sports town, lots to cover and an extremely reasonable cost of living. Great people to work with at the paper, too.

A few too many Steelers fans in the area for my liking, but some of them do have souls and are good guys.

7. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Any idea what the sports position beat is?

8. JoeScalzo

JoeScalzo New Member

This is primarily a preps job. Matthew Peaslee, who did a great job for us, left to take a job at LaRoche College near Pittsburgh about two months ago and we haven't replaced him yet.

As for the Steelers fans, well, it's like snow and Mafia jokes. (Mostly) minor annoyances you have to deal with here.

9. jtj16

jtj16 New Member

Soon-to-be college grad here. Are you looking to hire before May?

10. JoeScalzo

JoeScalzo New Member

That question, along with any others you guys may have, is best directed at Todd Franko. I am but a lowly sports writer.

11. JoeScalzo

JoeScalzo New Member

Congrats to Kevin Connelly, a Tennessee graduate and (unfortunately) a Pittsburgh native for getting this job. We're glad to have him.

Draft saved Draft deleted