1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On a winning streak

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by didntdoit19, Mar 1, 2013.

1. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

Apparently, the Chicago Sun-Times' Mark Lazerus is good luck for the teams he's covered recently.

http://chicagosidesports.com/quick-hits/who-is-the-blackhawks-lucky-charm-sun-times-reporter-mark-lazerus/

Has anything like this ever happened to you?

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

At my last shop, we had a high school writer who we called "the black widow" because she had an uncanny ability to kill off playoff teams. Needless to say, we were damn glad she was with us.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Isn't he covering the losing team, too?

4. Why? You rooted against teams you covered? So you had less work to do?

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Exactly.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Great. Lazerus' head needed to get bigger. :D

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Coaches apparently didn't realize she was the kiss of death though. They all loved her.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

You must not have been in this business that long ...

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

No more calls please ... WE HAVE A WINNER!

That, and some of us have use-it-or-lose-it vacay time acruing, dammit.

10. First three baseball games I covered this year went to extra innings. But that streak ended last night ... not before everyone in the press box almost murdered me when home team tied it on a fluke dropped catch by the shortstop in the bottom of the eighth. Luckily away team scored in the top of the ninth to win it.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Where I come from, the sports desk claps and cheers when an MLB no-hitter gets broken up. I understand the sentiment, but it always seems so bush league. Nowadays they just bury the story somewhere inside the section anyway.

Don't think the readers don't notice that change in coverage and presentation, either. Meanwhile, the execs keep laying off more newsroom jobs while bleating to the public, "You'll continue to get the same outstanding news coverage that we do so well."

12. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

The new publisher here wants to hire a stringer to help me out. The thing is, I've been working alone (sports-wise, anyway, not counting two stints as interim managing editor) the entire time I've been employed by this paper and we only cover two high schools and a juco anyway. I would have no idea what to do with a stringer.

We need a page designer/copy editor. But what paper these days doesn't? That's not going to happen, though, because that would be a full-time job. No, my problems would be solved by hiring someone I don't need who isn't trained that I will have to spend time copy editing myself, which will take time away from what I do. Thanks, Boss.

Draft saved Draft deleted