1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is "Pulp Fiction" ... about?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 21, 2012.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Don't hate me because I <3 Uma more than you. :)

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

EVERYONE loves Uma more than me. She's like Cameron Diaz to me -- I just don't get it.

And I'm with Verse on the Jimmy scene. I don't know why I love it, but I do. I even love the period joke.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think skinny blondes get overrated because they are rare in the real world but all over Hollywood, as though because Hollywood approves of them, they gain value. I could probably name 500 women I find more attractive than Diaz or Thurman.

4. Frylock

Frylock Member

Since Tarantino's acting skills (or lack thereof) have been part of this topic, I'll weigh in that he's actually not bad as Richie in Dusk Til Dawn.
    He's horrific in Four Rooms, however.

5. imjustagirl

Well, when Tarantino is playing a violent, sexually sadistic sick fuck, it's easy to see how he could fit into that role better than that of good suburban househusband.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

His head is big and scary. I give him demerits for that. :)

7. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

We're all indoctrinated that the way to watch a Tarantino film is to try to spot the hipper-than-thou chop socky references.

Nothing says he can't be putting his own twist on Chekhov, too.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"Pulp Fiction" is about the conventions of pulp fiction.

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

As a certified Pulp Fiction junkie, I can honestly say there is no character I dislike more than Fabienne. She had one job to do, and that was the bring the watch. She messed that up. Butch should have left her stupid ass at the motel or eating pancakes or whatever else she needed to do to get a pot. I hate the character.

I like the scenes with Tarantino. Jimmy had some classic lines.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Fabienne is one of the most unlikeable characters in any movie I have seen. I didn't find her that attractive, her personality is annoying, and she seriously fucked some shit up.

But then as the article points out, her only job was to pull out the persona of Butch that's pretty much the opposite of what we saw the rest of the way -- a devoted boyfriend/hubby all puppy love and shit -- not the bad ass boxer who kills a guy in the ring, guns down Vincent Vega, and then hacks up that dude with the sword. The differences we see in Butch because of her are stark. So maybe she took what really was a great role and played it perfectly, but because of who we expect and want Butch to be, and her effect on it, we all hate her for it.

I'm willing to rethink my disdain for that annoying bitch now.

11. imjustagirl

I don't hate her for her effect on "who we expect and want Butch to be." I hate her because she's annoying and stupid. Actually, I take back what I said earlier. I want Butch to be a man with better taste in women. So yes, I do hate her for the effect on who I want Butch to be.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

My issue with Jimmie isn't so much Tarantino's acting as how someone like Jimmie would be friends with Jules in the first place?

The character itself seemed to be an all-too convenient maguffin for Tarantino to worm his way into his own movie. Tarantino played the character right, because that's basically who he is, but I think its fair to question the validity of the character to begin with.

Having said that, Tarantino isn't even the worst actor shoe-horned into his own movie. That honor goes to Julia Sweeney and the cheesy scene at the junkyard. That scene sucks.

I've never been enamored with the ending to Pulp Fiction. Jules shouldn't have let Tim Roth or annoying-ass Amanda Plummer keep jack shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted