1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Digital Director

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Michael_Anastasi, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Michael_Anastasi

Michael_Anastasi New Member

The Los Angeles News Group seeks a Sports Digital Director to join its Sports Management Team. The Sports Digital Director is responsible for all aspects of the digital sports report, from preps to colleges to pros. Working under the Sports Editor and closely with the Managing Editor of Digital Operations, the Sports Digital Director will work to grow audience across all platforms in devising and executing a digital first strategy that deploys sports content for maximum effect. The successful candidate will be an experienced and innovative leader who is completely fluent in print as well as digital operations, is comfortable leading teams of writers, and can easily collaborate with other leaders throughout the organization. To apply, submit a letter, resume and appropriate portfolio to Sports Editor Gene Warnick, gene.warnick@dailynews.com. The Los Angeles News Group, part of Digital First Media, consists of nine daily newspapers and digital publications, including its flagship Los Angeles Daily News. It has an overall combined print circulation of 507,000 on Sunday, and more than 1.5 million daily digital readers.

2. NoOneYouKnow

NoOneYouKnow Member

Kind of a surprised to not see any chatter on here about this opportunity. Anyone have any insight?

3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Has anyone inquired about this job and received any feedback? I have sent my information twice now with no response.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The job was posted four days ago. I'll go out on a limb and say they're still evaluating and taking resumes.

5. Gene Warnick

Gene Warnick New Member

ALL:

Just got home late Wednesday night from the APSE judging in Orlando and will be back in the office Friday to start going through the e-mails I've received.

This is a very important job on our staff. We've got a lot of change going on (new computer system, redesigned website) in an effort to match our parent company's name - Digital First Media. Overseing sports for all nine properties in the Los Angeles News Group (LANG) keeps me busy and need someone dedicated to digital.

Our LANG executive editor is Michael Anastasi, a former APSE president whose previous paper, the Salt Lake Tribune, won an EPPY Award last year as one of the best daily newspaper websites in the country. With nearly two of everything in L.A. (MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS and perhaps soon two NFL teams), we've got plenty to post and multiple platforms.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to shoot an e-mail to gene.warnick@dailynews.com.

Thanks,
    Gene Warnick
    Sports editor
    Los Angeles News Group

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Very, very, VERY good job. Very, very, VERY good people. The brightest gold of Moddy Seals.

7. NoOneYouKnow

NoOneYouKnow Member

Does anyone have a take on the stability of the LA News Group? I saw recently that the Daily News' circulation had fallen below 100,000, and for nine papers to have only 500K combined makes me wonder.

Clearly circulation isn't everything as the Web is the future/now, but with the LA Times and OCR in the market is LANG playing third fiddle?

8. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

what would an "appropriate portfolio" consist of for a job like this?

Draft saved Draft deleted