1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer - Ashland (Ohio) Times-Gazette

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dispatch1234...isthison?, Jan 14, 2013.

1. If anyone's already posted on this, I apologize for missing that thread. Anyway, I saw this and was surprised it mentioned a beat of at least one minor sport in such a small (nine high schools) area.

Does anyone know anything about the shop or the town?

Are you an energetic sports writer who understands the role of a community newspaper and realizes some of the best stories can be found in high school gyms, on cross country courses and on local sandlots? If so, you might be the person for our job. Covering high school, youth and community sports is our bread-and-butter, and our coverage area includes nine high schools and Ashland University, an NCAA Division II school. The Times-Gazette is a 11,000-circulation, six-day A.M. and our daily sports section has been honored the past three years among the Top 3 for newspapers of our size in Ohio. Ashland, a county seat and college town, is located in North Central Ohio, with both Cleveland and Columbus just a little more than an hour away. This is an entry-level position, but we are seeking applicants with at least previous professional experience as a part-timer or one good internship during college. Preference will be given to applicants from Ohio or the surrounding states. While ability in covering all sports is needed, beats for the position likely will include boys soccer, cross country and track and field - among others. The application deadline is Jan. 18, with the interview process beginning immediately. Send a resume and 6 samples of your work in multiple sports to Doug Haidet, Sports Editor, Ashland Times-Gazette, 40 E. Second St., Ashland, OH 44805, or dhaidet@times-gazette.com.

2. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

Probably a $20K position. Also, from a former writer there, they pay half-time for OT. How that is legal is beyond me.

3. Fluctuating work week.

4. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

That's not how they say it's legal. An exemption for writers, artists, etc. Newsroom employees are the only ones who don't get time and a half for OT.

I've worked for two papers in that chain and find the leadership relatively miserable. That said, if this is your first job out of school, it isn't that bad. The sports editor is a really good dude and the ME went there from Indianapolis and will help you move to a better place as fast as your talents/ambition allow.

5. A smart reporter here looking to leave the business has a payday waiting for them with a complaint to the federal Wage and Hour Division.

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

T
    There is no exemption for newspaper writers. That exemption is for people who are self-employed. If you work as an employee, you would be covered by the law.

7. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

I'm just saying that's what we were told, not that is it legal or right.

Draft saved Draft deleted