1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I should expect to get paid...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by aluberda, Jan 29, 2013.

1. aluberda

aluberda New Member

I am a Junior at Arizona State University. I have a potential job opportunity with a local, weekly publication looking to cover HS Sports at any of 4 different HS in the publication area. The number of stories and workload is really up to me. The editor I spoke with has requested that I give him a proposal regarding salary (and workload) using 2 models. The first is hourly, plus mileage, and the second a flatrate, by word, or by the inch freelance type model. Considering this will be my first "compensated" intern type position, I really don't know what to "propose." Any feedback and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. The editor will take the lowest number you'll give him. I haven't heard of any paper paying by the inch anymore.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Get a job at the pet store. Puppies are cute.

4. aluberda

aluberda New Member

Do you speak from experience?

5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Without knowing the rates for each model, my gut feeling is to take the hourly-plus mileage deal. Probably not going to be a lot either way, but the experience and the clips will make it pay off in the long run.

6. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

One thing to bear in mind if you go inch/word is to clarify before the assignment if you're getting paid by what you submit or by what they print. Or to have an ironclad word count from the editor with the assignment. You don't want to get jipped out of $$ if news breaks or they have a late ad that slices your story in half.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Do you really want <b>that</b> to be your second fucking post?

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would tend to side with the hourly plus mileage, assuming that the mileage pay is decent and you have to drive a bit to the schools.

If you go straight by the word, the travel costs could eat it up.

9. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

If all seems even, I'd say hourly + mileage.

At this point, you should be building good clips, which is not exactly encouraged in a by-the-word payment plan.

Also, if you're in Arizona, that mileage compensation is going to help, even if you're just bouncing around Mesa.

10. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

Shut your fat trap up and get off your high horse. Some newbie comes here looking for genuine advice, gets a snarky response, asks if it is serious, and then has to deal your sorry punk ass? Get out of here, bro.

11. Smasher_Sloan

I'm so sorry. I didn't realize you were in charge here. Missed the "Asslick Now Running Board After 320 Posts" thread. My mistake....<i>bro.</i>

12. PEteacher should tell the kid don't settle for a few bucks, but expect $41,000.

Draft saved Draft deleted