1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peter King Man of Contradictions

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

We have not had a good Peter King thread in a while. In his MMQB this week The ten things I think I think section:

b. Smoking in bars in New Orleans. Really? Seriously? Went to a great bar on St. Charles Street the other night, The Avenue Bar, with a very serious beer menu, and noticed a cigarette vending machine, a huge one, next to the men's room. And by about 10:30, the downstairs was full of smokers. Felt like I was back in college.

c. Incredible restaurant of the week: Root, a few long spirals from the Convention Center. On Saturday night, I had one of the best meals I've had in a while, and one of the strangest-sounding: Cohiba Smoked Scallops, served in a cigar box. True. Cohiba's a famous cigar, and the scallops are grilled, then infused with cigar smoke. Sounded totally absurd, but they came highly recommended, and I tried them, and I was not disappointed.

Not only were the scallops tender, but also the smoke provided added value. For dessert, there were cocoa puffs, in minted milk, with mint chip ice cream. I am given to hyperbole (just ask Don Banks), but that's as good a meal as I remember eating at a Super Bowl.

d. I know the meal I'd want as my last on death row. Two questions: What would the warden say if I said I wanted scallops in cigar smoke, with cocoa puffs and ice cream for dessert? And two, does Root deliver?

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

He didn't say he wanted to smoke the cigars, just eat scallops that had been "infused" with cigar smoke.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

King is merely saying he wasn't interested in the Marlboro-infused salmon.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

"Today's Quickfire Challenge: cook a great scallops meal using only a pack of smokes."

5. Boom_70

Since Cohiba's are banned in the U.S. King was eating illegal scallops.

6. joe king

joe king Active Member

Now that's investigative journalism, folks!

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

There are Dominican Cohibas (supposedly with smuggled cuban seeds.) Not close to cuban Cohibas.

8. Boom_70

Yeah their terrible. If that was the case King would have been better with Marlboro infused
    salmon.

9. poindexter

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next is Kiwi Shoe Polish - infused scallops, served in a shoebox.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Boom_70

They have Kiwi infused scallop stands along Bourbon St.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. poindexter

Wait'll Peter finds out they soak brats in beer.

Remember just a couple years ago he discovered Guinness?

12. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Fact: those scallops are amazing.

Draft saved Draft deleted