1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Russian Family went 40 years cut off from the world

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HC, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I read it twice, figuring I had missed the WWII mentions in the article the first time through. Guess not. I'm glad the dad got to have some salt before he died. Really fascinating stuff. Thanks for posting, HC!

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

It's not the least bit quaint. The children essentially led enslaved, brainwashed lives, unable to fall in love and start families of their own. Tragic.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Danny Bonaduce was OK in the beginning but went too far.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"During the purges of the 1930s, with Christianity itself under assault, a Communist patrol had shot Lykov's brother on the outskirts of their village while Lykov knelt working beside him. He had responded by scooping up his family and bolting into forest."

It was tragic just about everywhere in that nation in the 1930s and 40s.

But you know something? The children spent a lifetime with their family. More than can be said for relatives of the 27 million who died at the hands of the Nazis or the 20 million who died at the hands of Stalin. Because of that, there was an enormous gender imbalance that guaranteed that millions of women would never be able to find a mate.

And the children didn't have the horror of seeing, then recounting, one-by-one, the names and dates of all the relatives who starved to death during the 900-day siege of Leningrad. As this poor child did.

[​IMG]

"УМЕР" = died

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Smithsonian is such a great read. I remember back in 1979 or '80, Smithsonian was an advertiser on the old Enterprise Sports Network (anyone remember that?), which I listened to religiously at night. The commercials were so good that I eventually called the number and subscribed to Smithsonian. It never disappointed.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm with BT on that. Given the choice of sticking around or heading to the woods, I think the dad made the right call.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That's one bit of history I've never gotten around to reading: why Stalin wanted to starve the Ukraine region to death. I'm surprised every Russia-Ukraine competition isn't the equivalent of Blood in the Water.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

My educated guess is that he was a kill-crazy psycho.

9. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

"If I had a ruble for every time a great Russian bear had seen me jack off in the woods..."

Draft saved Draft deleted