1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Staff writer, Dallas Cowboys, Irving Texas

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Jan 25, 2013.

1. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

This was on the teamworkonline.com site. You have to apply through the site. You don't have to be a paying member on the site to apply, if memory serves. But you need to register for an account if you don't already have one.

Communications: Writer/Editorial
    Staff Writer - Dallas Cowboys Football Club (Irving, TX)

The Staff Writer is primarily responsible for covering the Dallas Cowboys beat. The Writer will write for DallasCowboys.com and Dallas Cowboys Star Magazine.

Responsibilities:
    • Establish and maintain relationships with players, coaches and front office personnel
    • Write daily articles reporting on news relative to the Dallas Cowboys
    • Write weekly articles for Dallas Cowboys Star Magazine
    • Contribute to daily podcasts as an analyst
    • Regularly use Twitter to engage Cowboys fans

Qualifications:
    • Bachelor's Degree in Journalism or related field
    • At least 2 years of experience covering sports (may include college newspaper)
    • Excellent writing skills and the ability to communicate effectively with fans
    • Ability to produce articles quickly without sacrificing quality
    • In-depth knowledge of the Dallas Cowboys and NFL

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Just FYI, this is very much an entry-level position, with pay to match. They're expecting to hire someone right out of school.

3. aholla3

aholla3 New Member

There was no place to attach clips on the application. I'm assuming they'll be asking for those if they like the resume?

4. Sluf

Sluf New Member

Would this be a good first job? Should applicants worry about having editorial control, having freedom to critique the team when they're not at their best?

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Sluf, anytime you are writing for an official team or company site, it is different than writing for an independent news outlet. I've done both. Not saying one is better or worse, just different.

I would say this would be an outstanding first, second or third job for someone interested in learning football writing. A chance to be around a professional team and learn what that is like. A chance to develop interviewing, reporting and writing skills.

Now, don't go in expecting to write pieces ripping Jerry Jones or Jason Garrett for their decisions. No one is looking to read YOUR opinions. However, if you can learn to see a story from different angles, it can be quite interesting.

I suspect you might cover things like.... a profile of a new assistant coach and his background, what he will try to do. What needs the team wants to address in the college draft and free agency. Injury updates. During the season, game previews, features on players, game stories, personnel moves, etc.

6. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

A chance to be around a professional team? Are we still talking about the Cowboys? ;)

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'd say this would be an excellent job for any young person who's good at being unobtrusive and wants to write a funny/tragic tell-all book.

8. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

And wants to live in government housing in Irving. Or at home with Mom, which would be the better choice.

Job pays jack.

9. Mark.Kern

Mark.Kern New Member

I applied for the job, and I agree that it is different writing for a team website, but I like it. I interned with the Charlotte Bobcats last season, and really enjoyed my team.

10. dingo10886

dingo10886 New Member

Is this something where they are looking to hire immediately? I ask because I am very interested and believe I have the experience to be considered, however I am not finishing school until April. I would have been done in the fall, but I had to have a course that was not offered until the spring semester.

11. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

If you're a greenhorn in this business, this is an outstanding job. Yeah the pay may be crap, but you getting your foot in here could open a thousand doors if you're talented at all.

For those interested, you damn well should go for it.

12. speters159

speters159 New Member

For those wondering, they've already started the whittling down of candidates. The job is entry-level and starting pay is $26,000.

Draft saved Draft deleted