1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Ed, Lumberton, NC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Jan 18, 2013.

1. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

from journalismjobs.com....

The Robesonian, an award-winning daily newspaper in Southeastern North Carolina, is looking for a sports editor. The newspaper has a circulation of 13,000 daily and 16,000 on Sunday. A journalism degree is preferred, not required, but an applicant should have experience covering sports, preferably at a daily newspaper. The successful candidate should be able to produce clean copy and edit well, and handle a camera and video equipment. The job is difficult and time consuming as the coverage area includes six high schools and a university. There will be a lot of work on Fridays and Saturdays, except during the summers, but Sundays and Mondays can be used as a "weekend." This is a perfect opportunity for an accomplished writer to transition into management. The sports editor will manage a staff of one and stringers. The job does not require page design. Wages and benefits are competitive. Send resume and clips to Editor Donnie Douglas at ddouglas@civitasmedia.com. No phone calls please.

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Tough part of the state but not too far from the beach. Donnie will push you but this is a good opportunity, especially with no layout being required.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Paxton paper?

4. Tarheel316

No, Heartland.

5. PirateSports

PirateSports Member

Heartland changed its name to Civitas...I'm not sure there were any changes in the company other than the name.

6. behindthebarricade

behindthebarricade New Member

I applied for this position. Anyone know if they'll consider out of state applicants?

7. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

I seriously doubt this place would fly in a candidate. I'll add, be careful what you wish for.

8. Tarheel316

It's a small daily. They wouldn't fly somebody in.

9. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

You may be considered, but as others have said, you'll have to do a phone interview. If you're from outside the south/mid-atlantic, I doubt you'll get a look. I've heard of small papers hiring from outside of the state but it doesn't happen often.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Donnie hired me out of college about a decade ago. I was in the midwest, but my girlfriend/soon-to-be-fiance was in North Carolina. We talked on the phone a few times and then I bought my own plane ticket out for an in-person interview. I did that because I didn't know any better, I wanted to see my girlfriend and I was able to interview a few other places the same week. They did pay my mileage driving from the Triangle to Lumberton, but that was a different parent company, so who knows what they do these days.

It does look like the staff size has stayed about the same for several years and they eliminated the desk work, so that's a plus. Lumberton ain't the nicest place in the country. It probably ain't in the top 80 percent, but several people have gone in, done good work and fairly quickly moved on to bigger and better things.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Betcha they got tired of being called Heartless.

12. alex.riley21

alex.riley21 Member

Good luck to whoever gets this job. Talked with Donnie and the current writer, Brad, and it sounds like a good gig, a place to make an impact and create a sports department the way you want to do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted