1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best use of a song or music in a single episode in TV history

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Colton, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Sopranos had some awesome uses of fairly obscure songs, maybe not obscure, but songs that were not considered popular...

There was one where they used "Affection" by The Lost Boys (Little Steven's band) that was just awesome...

Another one I loved was "I Saved the World Today" by the Eurythmics that they played over the end credits in one of the earlier seasons...

2. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

From the goofy files: Bust A Move, Grounded for Life; Ghostbusters, It's Always Sunny; Victoria from How I Met Your Mother

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Since you mentioned It's Always Sunny, the best use of a song in that show is clearly:

4. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

I didn't know we could nominate an original score, but clearly you are spot on.

5. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

Steve Earle's 'I Feel Alright' at the end of S2 of the Wire. Come Sail Away is a good call on Freaks and Geeks. Also loved the final episode where Lindsay runs off with the deadheads. I think it's Ripple by the Grateful Dead that's playing. Bummed me out for 2 days.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Lots of people have mentioned Scrubs, which I think is the best at this kind of thing. The one that sticks with me is "The Book Of Love" on the scene where J.D. leaves the hospital, and then they fast-forward the film reel to when his and Turk's kids are playing together as they grow up.

I have also always felt How I Met Your Mother does a very nice job with its score but I can't recall any particular episode/song right now.

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

It's been so long since I watched those episodes, but I remember the early seasons of Rescue Me doing a good job with songs at the end of episodes.

In the past few years, though, I've grown to appreciate the shows and movies that use songs playing over montages sparingly, if at all. Most of the time it's either manipulative or a way to sum up the message or theme of an episode as opposed to just doing the job of making sure one can understand the theme without the crutch of a song explaining it.

There are definitely times where I think it works, but like I said, I now prefer when it's used very sparingly as a storytelling device.

8. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I've always loved the last scene of Six Feet Under. Sia's Breathe Me makes it that much better.

9. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I had that on page one.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think the reason Scrubs is so good is because its identity played into that so well. When Scrubs uses The Fray, it comes across as knowingly melodramatic. Most comedies can't get away with taking themselves that seriously, but the entire concept behind Scrubs was that the show was based on how J.D. viewed the world, so the melodrama makes sense.

More or less, Scrubs played into its element by picking schlocky, overwrought songs for the emotional moments and using music in other weird and unique ways. Scrubs had boundless confidence in its identity. It worked.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

C'MON GUYS! EVERY COLD CASE EPISODE ENDS WITH A SONG!

(I think that's so hackneyed.)

12. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

No show was consistently better at using music than Homicide: Life on the Street. Best single example is Peter Gabriel's "No Self Control" during a scene where they were hunting a fugitive in a train station. Couldn't find that one on Youtube, but this is one of many excellent ones...

Draft saved Draft deleted