1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Radio jackass suspended for moronic Erin Andrews tweets

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Jan 21, 2013.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Please stay on topic and have a happy Also, I Have a Daughter Day

2. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Trying to fill airtime, trying to get ratings, etc.

It's always surprising when a sports radio host says something stupid. Especially one who needs to gain publicity by latching onto someone everyone has actually heard of.

Probably won't hear this guy on that station again. But he'll probably find another job, the world being what it is.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

He was on in Tampa when I was there. He was always a loud mouth asshole. He apparently got fired from there for stupid remarks.

This station replaced Sid Rosenberg with him. I'm guessing they got exactly what they wanted.

4. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Yes, he was fired in Tampa for being an idiot, but those tweets/comments are G rated compared with most Miami talk show hosts.

5. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Sileo is and always has been a loathsome individual. He is a particularly noxious boil on the ass of sports radio, the field I work in. This piece, which is no longer available for linking but ran in the Tampa Tribune soon after he was hired there, shows you what this fraud is about....

Radio host may not be all he claims
    Don't believe everything you hear. So says Dan Sileo just a week into his new morning host job at WDAE-1250 AM. The former Buccaneer-turned-radio personality arrived at the Jacor-owned station Sept. 23 with some baggage he would have rather left behind. According to his former employer and the San Francisco Chronicle, Sileo had some credibility problems when he was an afternoon radio host at San Francisco's KTCT-1050 AM during the last year.

A former University of Miami football player, Sileo was so well-known for embellishing his brief pro career on the air, stated the Chronicle, that the intro to his own show poked fun of him: "Three years in the NFL! All right. ... Three months. ... All right. ... Three downs!"

Susan Slusser, the Chronicle's sports media writer, documented some of Sileo's exaggerations:

* In San Francisco, Sileo often referred on-air to his playing days with the Dallas Cowboys. But according to the team, Sileo went to training camp in 1989 and was released before the season began.

* According to the newspaper, Sileo said that he played for the Detroit Lions and was on the field when Joe Montana played his final game for the San Francisco 49ers in 1992. KTCT program director Lee Hammer also told The Tampa Tribune on Thursday that Sileo said he started eight games for the Lions. A station employee also told him that Sileo claimed a photograph of a Lions player on the sports department wall was of himself. According to the Lions, however, Sileo never played for them. Rather they allocated his contractual rights to the Orlando Thunder of the World League.

* The Chronicle stated that Sileo told a sportscaster that on his first play in the NFL, he sacked Montana. Only trouble is, Sileo played just 10 games with the Bucs as a sub in 1987 and never recorded a sack. Reached by The Tampa Tribune on Wednesday, Sileo stuck by his Montana story, insisting it was the third game of that season he sacked the future Hall of Famer. However, the Bucs list him with two quarterback pressures and 14 tackles in his short career here. And the Bucs-49ers game was the seventh game of the season.

The list goes on. So what if he told a caller he was an All-American at Miami when he really was an honorable mention? After all Sileo has been through, listeners should be sympathetic to his memory lapses. He told Slusser, as stated in the Chronicle on March 22, 1997, that his discrepancies were the result of a two-year bout with meningitis brought on by steroid use. It wasn't until Slusser questioned his stories, however, that Sileo revealed his struggle with the disease during a phone call to her home.

Sileo said this week he had an eight-year battle with steroids and a near-death meningitis experience, but insisted that he had never spoken to Slusser. That was Wednesday. On Thursday, he said he had spoken to her once. She recalled at least five conversations with him during his employment at KTCT. Sileo's problems are of little surprise to Hammer. When a talent shuffle demoted Sileo from morning host to reporter in August, Hammer said credibility concerns about him grew.

For instance, Sileo was sent to a college news conference but returned without any tape for broadcast. When Hammer asked Sileo what was said there, he replied with quotes the colleges" sports information directors later claimed were false and added Sileo never was present at the news conference. Sileo said Thursday he was not at the news conference because of contract problems with the station and added he was "very unhappy ... in that stupid reporting job."

Nevertheless, Sileo insists he said all along that he was with the Cowboys and Lions only in training camp. As for Slusser's stories, Sileo claims she had an ax to grind because she didn't like his station. As for Hammer, he was retaliating because of the terms under which Sileo left KTCT. As for his reported embellishments, Sileo said it's all nonsense. "I never talk about myself [on the air]," he said. "It's caller radio. ... If I've made stuff up, why would I come back to a place and state where people know what I've done? That's absolutely ridiculous."

Lisa Magenheimer The Tampa Tribune

For years Sileo was promoted and protected by a powerful exec at Clear Channel, VP of talk programming Gabe Hobbs. Everyone I know who worked there hated him, but they couldn't get rid of him. Hobbs got fired and is now Sileo's agent. Soon after he was gone, so was Dan. Somehow Hobbs got the fools at WQAM to hire him. He failed so bad in afternoon drive he was dropped to a worse time slot in less than a year. He's been booted off Canes postgame as well. Now this crap - surely whenever his contract is up, they'll purge themselves of this filth for good. Hopefully that will finally be it for him.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The guy should have a "show cause" order attached to him. I can't believe advertisers think he has a desirable demographic. Outside of "nutritional supplement" outlets, who would think he's good for their brand?

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I have no idea, nor is it my business, to know about the status of Erin Andrews' womb.

But it sounds like she gained a dickhead.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Sileo has been a douche for years. Bianchi enjoys skewering him now and then but it's fish in a barrel.

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

At least the station suspended him.

Canada, you know it's bad when the Toronto Star makes U.S. talk radio look moral and ethical.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

He's from the U. Nuff said.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I know what you're saying in regard to the Star idiocy, but in this case, 'at least a suspension' is the equivalent of 'no big deal.' And I know that is not what you're saying.

The truth is, this asshole said what a lot of other assholes think...they just don't have a platform for saying it publicly. They say it to their buddies in the bar, and then everyone laughs. No big deal.

A suspension doesn't mean a thing. Actually, that's not true...it means "No big deal. We'll get over it. He has a daughter."

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Would love to check in with the daughter in 15 years and see how that whole role modeling thing went.

Draft saved Draft deleted