1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USA TODAY Sports

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by PBarzilai, Nov 26, 2012.

1. PBarzilai

PBarzilai New Member

USA TODAY Sports is looking for freelance reporters who can assist in covering breaking news and other events on an as needed basis.

If you are interested in joining our roster of freelancers, please PM or email me and include a brief explanation of your work experience, where you are located, contact information and whether you are currently a full-time employee of another sports media outlet.

Thanks,
    Peter Barzilai
    Senior Editor, Breaking News
    USA TODAY Sports
    pbarzilai@usatoday.com

2. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Info sent

3. JoshLongIsland

JoshLongIsland New Member

Just sent you an email. Thanks much!

Josh

4. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

I'm glad Mizzou and Saint Louis U. are both having good years - could lead to a freelance gig for either of those basketball programs now that we're in conference play.

5. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

I'm curious -- has anyone heard back from Peter concerning a gig or just acknowledging receipt of your information?

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I've done three assignments for him since then. They pay pretty damn good, too.

7. jackmac

jackmac Member

Sent info twice, never got an acknowledgement. I figured the guy was either busy or doesn't need help in my area.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

My understanding is that this was posted in the interest of building a list so when some story of national interest breaks, they have names in the area they can contact to get it covered (at least until they can get a staffer there, if it's big enough). I'm not sure they were planning to contact anyone until they were needed, though if anyone has heard from them without getting an assignment, please feel free to correct me.

Keep in mind, Peter's title is breaking news editor, so I'm assuming that's where the focus is, not on game coverage or scheduled events. They just want a list of writers on hand in case something breaks.

Please note that I am not with USA Today, I have just freelanced for them, so this post is merely my rudimentary understanding of what this is about and how it works. Anyone with better information (including Peter if you're still out there monitoring this), is certainly welcome to post it.

9. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

That's the response that I got from sometime in December, though I'm curious as to whether give him a call and formally introduce myself over the phone is a good idea, so he can get a better insight into who I am.

10. Rudyscribe

Rudyscribe New Member

I never got a reply from him. I guess there's not enough breaking news in my area.

11. ChrisMaza

ChrisMaza Member

Ditto

12. I contacted them, less than two hours later was sent to Notre Dame.

This is legit and worth your while.

Draft saved Draft deleted