1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jodie Foster

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jan 14, 2013.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Is trying to have a conversation with Drip smarter, dumber, or equally as dumb to running headfirst into a brick wall? (cue MC with a Gus Frerotte picture)

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Conversations with Drip:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7P5qJAI9BIc

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Its ridiculous that people actually think that being gay is "cool."

I've been around nearly 50 yrs now; I've seen kids ridiculed on the playground for being "gay"; people harassed and tormented in the workplace for being "gay"; and read heart-breaking stories of homosexuals who are persecuted, beaten, tortured, and who commit suicide because of their sexual orientation.

There are homosexuals in my family, being gay is not a chosen lifestyle; they did not do "it" to themselves. And they certainly did not do it because its "cool".

People want the prominent ones to stay out of the limelight, that way they can treat homosexuals as this nice tidy subset that's insignificant, so insignificant that the subset can be ridiculed and no one will care.

Why should people "come out"? Because the more prominent people that come out, the more mainstream it becomes and the sooner reality sets in that homosexuals are not some leper group, but a true cross-section of life; there are homosexuals in EVERY group, world leaders, entertainment leaders, titans of industry, athletic champions.

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

This thread has gone full-derp.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Is that what you believe?

6. Irony Police

Irony Police New Member

Son, we appreciate you coming to us for council. Ruffians such as habitual offender Boom_70 could learn something from this. It's not ironic because the two occurrences are unrelated. Speaking generally, irony is when one thing leads to something exactly counter to what would be expected. Drip saying something dumb is not ironic.

7. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I'm with those who're baffled that this is being characterized as a "coming out" speech. If anything, she took a several jabs at the idea of "coming out" in a press release when you've been living honestly about who you love for 30+ years in your personal life. She wanted to thank her former partner and the co-parent of her children, a person she'd never really spotlighted in her many awards speeches to my recollection. It was no more the point of what she said than the parts about her mom or her kids or Mel Gibson were, except that it seemed honest in ways I don't expect when watching these shows.

It makes me curious what she'll do next, more than anything else. She's an incredibly talented actor, but I haven't seen enough of her behind-the-camera work to really figure out what I think of her as a director (I did not see her Mel Gibson movie about the handpuppet, but I kind of want to now more than I did before).

Whatever she was doing, I'm very glad I watched it, and I can't remember the last time I felt that away about one of these speeches.

8. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

So would Drip saying something intelligent be ironic?

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

He'd be called Man in Blue

10. Irony Police

Irony Police New Member

Son, we are trained officers of the irony law. We don't consider ludicrous hypotheticals.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

There's not a damn thing wrong with not agreeing with the gay lifestyle or her coming out at an awards show. You're pissed because I don't embrace that lifestyle? Tough. I respect her right to live life the way that she wants to but that doesn't mean that I have to go along with it or the way that she came out at the show.
    And for the record, like many along here, I have gay family members and extremely close friends. I don't look at them as gay. They don't look at me as straight. We're human beings just trying to make it from day to day.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Is Jodie Foster one of your gay "extremely close friends"?

Draft saved Draft deleted