1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chip Kelly Takes Eagle Job

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Re: Brian Kelly Interviews With The Eagles

Valid points. In many ways I would think that college game would be more intriguing to an "X's and O's type coach. College offers a lot more variety in terms of the offenses and defenses that you face each week.

It's changed in past few years but the NFL has a bit of sameness to it.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

So who is more successful, Tony Dungy or Nick Saban

3. joe king

joe king Active Member

[​IMG]

What about me?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

If it's not with the Eagles, it'll be with someone soon. Brian Kelly will coach in the NFL.

As I mentioned leading up to the title game, his college record is 199-67. He builds winners then moves up. I have no doubt he wants to build a team in the NFL.

I'd be surprised if he goes back to Notre Dame next season but as someone posted, maybe this was his first taste of NFL interviewing experience and he plans to really go for it in a year or two.

5. noodles

noodles Member

Life as Brian Kelly has known it at Notre Dame is over. Short of winning a national championship, let alone being competitive in a national championship game, the only direction to go for Kelly in South Bend is down.

Lose a game in September next year? Unacceptable.

Lose in October to USC? Can't do it.

Lose in November at Stanford? Better not.

Come up short in the new playoff system? Not an option.

This season may truly be as good as it gets for Kelly. All the breaks in the close games went Notre Dame's way. The pressure, which was white-hot to begin with, only will intensify.

Kelly considers himself a football coach. At Notre Dame, you have to be so much more.

Why wouldn't he say, screw it, I'm taking the payday and getting back to being a coach.

He may not leave this year, but he eventually will leave. It's his M.O. - build, win, bolt.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think the challenges to the college coach start with the fact that you lose a high percentage of your best players every year. Like clockwork. Nothing you can do about it. So you spend the offseason begging high school kids to play for you.

You then have to babysit, educate and graduate - or give the appearance of babysitting, educating and graduating - scores of horny sub-literate male teenagers year in and year out.

All while a corrupt outside agency monitors your every move and an insane fan base of lunatic boosters analyses/scrutinizes/criticizes every gesture, play and phrase.

7. Re: Brian Kelly Interviews With The Eagles

Maybe he should. Maybe he shouldn't. No one can really answer that without the benefit of hindsight. And not the hindsight of others who have tried, but the hindsight for Brian Kelly, because this is about him and his life. But I'm not buying that he will make the jump to be challenged more. And it doesn't change the fact that Dick is wrong to infer that college football is the minor league to the NFL's major leagues. I still argue that head coaching positions at Notre Dame, Alabama, USC, etc are better and somewhat more challenging gigs than Jacksonville, Carolina and Arizona in the pros. Nothing minor league about them.

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

I have never before heard of Pinball Clemons but I absolutely adore his nickname.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I was going to ask if Darren Flutie made the list, and sure enough there he is at number 50.

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

Recruiting and the whole backroom/booster/gladhander aspect are the two biggest reasons coaches leave the college game for the pros.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Terrific football player up here and better human being. I doubt you'd find anyone who has ever dealt with him who has a bad word to say about that man.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Keith Arnold
    ‏@KeithArnoldNBC
    Agent Trace Armstrong reps Brian Kelly... and Chris Mortensen and Adam Schefter, according to his wiki page. Hmm.

Draft saved Draft deleted