1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN to ESPN: No comment

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Jan 4, 2013.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Classic: ESPN cites SI's report that Ray Lewis is joining ESPN; ESPN declines comment.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8809309/ray-lewis-baltimore-ravens-close-deal-espn

2. noodles

noodles Member

Speaking of ESPN, it really nailed down that Andy Reid "95 percent done" to Arizona Cardinals that ran earlier in the week non-stop on the nightly ticker.

How did that one turn out?

Quality reporting there by ESPN. Throw enough stuff to wall, something will stick.

3. Chris17

Chris17 Member

How about last night's pregame interview of Chip Kelly, just after he stepped off the bus.

Are you going to the NFL? --Not talking about that right now, we have a bowl game to win.
    So, are you going to the NFL? --I'm not going to talk about that right now
    Any thoughts about going to the NFL? --I will not discuss this with you or any team until after the game.
    What are Oregon fans going to think if you leave for the NFL? --

I can't stand what these "reporters" try to do to push stories.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Agreed. I wanted Kelly to clock Holly Rowe right in the chops when she tried to set him up after game by saying that "ESPN has already talked to your AD and he said he has given NFL teams permission to speak with you....

The way Kelly handled this week was text book for how coaches should handle a pending departure.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Holly Rowe can take a hit.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You can do your job without being an asshole about it. I liked all of Kelly's answers this week and based on those answers, there was no reason to hound him every time he went somewhere...

The infamous Bonnie Bernstein-Roy Williams question, I don't think Bonnie did anything wrong. That was 100 percent legitimate.

I remember Butch Davis going on a diatribe at the Sugar Bowl about how he was not interested in the Browns job, how anybody who wrote that he was a candidate for the Browns job was a liar and we all know how that ended...

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

One of the great sports pages the Sun-Sentinel did had a 80-point, bold headline quoting Nick Saban as saying "I'm not going to Alabama" (said a day or two before) right below a six-column photo of Saban . . . being introduced as Alabama coach.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Why? Rowe told him in the pregame interview "we'll ask you about the NFL after the game."

I'll be very intrigued to see if Kelly gets a NFL job.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Back to the main point here. I was incredulous when the ESPN crawl mentioned ESPN wasn't commenting about a potential ESPN hire being mentioned in the sports world. An enormous what the fuck moment. If any organization needs an enema at the top, that's the one.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think they always try to pass this off as proof that their newsgathering and entertainment operations are separate -- the "Chinese wall." Of course, then when they do have "sources tell ESPN" that something is happening and it's involving one of their own employees, like Urban Meyer or Bobby V, they have no problem with the operations commingling.

Always been very interesting that ESPN doesn't employ a media writer a la Richard Deitsch. I guess they figure 75 percent of that writer's time is going to be devoted to ESPN's asshattery, so what's the point?

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Speaking of which, 55 days have passed since the last ESPN Ombudsman column.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Maybe the ombudsman also could discuss those fabulous ESPN "journalists" shilling products on commercials for ESPN advertisers. Horrible conflict of interest.

Draft saved Draft deleted