1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Multiple deaths, including children, at Connecticut school shooting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Dec 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

MSNBC says the shooter was carrying his brother's ID, which at least in part might help to explain why the name of the shooter was incorrect in the early hours of this.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I wonder if the front desk of the school has an ID scanner? Or maybe the school was alerted not to let him in, but the brother was fine?

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I really don't like the argument that we shouldn't enact laws or change because the bad guys will find a way to do it anyway. And Old Tony, I say that more because I've read that more times today than I care to admit.

As sick as it sounds, I would rather a McVeigh every 10 to 20 years than have to see these mass shootings every other month. On the national level we need to start having conversations about how we need to change how we obtain and/or manufacture guns.

We can't do nothing, because nothing has allowed these incidents to keep happening. Bad guys will continue to be bad, but perhaps it's time we make it harder for people to commit these crimes.

4. Seeing virtual candlelight vigils on Facebook. No time for a conversation.

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I think that also explains a report earlier about how after 9:30, people need to be buzzed in yet this guy still got into the school.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

These security measures were brand new to the district for this school year. The timing does at least raise the question of whether they were responding to some threat, real or perceived.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I was on the home page of our site today, and this story completely wrecked me. I don't have kids. This wrecked me. I worked an extra 90 minutes until things started slowing down. I came home, and unplugged from it for a while. Then I read this thread, and it has wrecked me all over again.

I don't know how to stop this. I don't know what will work. All I know is that whatever we have now obviously isn't working. And the fact that 20 families lost their babies ... not their children, their babies ... The Onion thread someone posted above was pretty much how my coworker and I were today. I couldn't finish a sentence. It was lots of "I just ... I can't ..."

When he left, we hugged and he said "we have to promise each other we'll never get desensitized to this stuff even though we have to see death and destruction every day in our jobs now." I promised him. I don't know how you could ever get desensitized to something like this. I just ... don't.

8. I've read through a lot of discussion about today's tragedy both here and other places, but I haven't actually read a whole lot of hard news coverage on it. I watched CNN/Fox/MSNBC throughout the day, flipping back and forth.

Has anyone confirmed the shooter actually used an assault rifle in the killings? My understanding from the TV coverage was that there was a vehicle searched that had some weapons in it likely connected to the shooter, but I haven't seen anything definitive on what guns were actually fired.

In terms of the gun legislation debate, seems that would be important. Asking because I don't know, and if anyone has easy clarification there, that would be better than searching a ton of news reports.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This one is different. These are children - very young children. It's perfectly fine to feel this way.

And this is American on American terror. Inflicting terror on ourselves, I would place Oklahoma City over this as far as shock, but that's it. This is worse than Columbine, Tech and Aurora if only for the age of the children.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I've seen handguns and a rifle and handguns and an assault rifle reported.

Not sure which one is accurate. Not sure it matters either.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You're right.

The .223 Bushmaster AR-15 was found in the car. Presumably it wasn't used in the school. It seems he did this with two pistols.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Somebody posted a picture of one of those a few pages back and said it was what he used. So that's not correct?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.