1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest "beat 'em up" CFB cupcake payouts?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Matt Stephens, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Wondering if any of you who have been around much longer than me can remember single game payouts for a cupcake to visit a power in the $1 Million range? I've been searching a bit, and am seeing a lot, obviously, around the $500,000 range, but not many in seven figures.

I'm trying to figure out what's the largest ever.

Here's what I've found:

Alabama vs. Kent State: $1.2 M
    Florida State vs. Monroe: 1.3 M
    Auburn vs. Idaho, 2015: $1 M

And officially announced Thursday, Colorado State is being paid $1.5 M next season by Alabama for a single game and another $1.5 M in either 2015 or 2017.

Can you remember anything higher than $1.5?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Southern Miss just gave up what had been a scheduled home game against Nebraska, moving the 2013 game to Lincoln for $2.1 million.

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20121129/SPORTS030104/311290092/Southern-Miss-earn-2-1-million-going-back-Nebraska

I believe all of that money is going toward Ellis Johnson's buyout.

3. Saw a tweet from an SEC writer earlier today that there was a 2002 game that someone turned from a road game into a home game for $2.something million. Can't remember which SEC school it was.

4. Having zero luck finding that tweet.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Thomas, here's a reference to Tennessee's $2.35 million payout to Wyoming in 2002 — which is believed to be the record: http://www.thestate.com/2012/09/14/2441068/morris-big-beatings-equal-big.html#.UMrfFejsXfQ

Ohio State paid Navy $1.45 million in 2009, which was the highest payout of that season. (source)

6. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Thanks, all. I appreciate the help. Honestly a little surprised a payout was so large 10 years ago.

7. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Wyoming beat Tennessee in that game, I believe, too.
    I have no problem with I-A (FBS) schools scheduling other FBS schools and making a financial transaction of 900 gagillion dollars. What I despise is the constant scheduling of I-AA (FCS) schools by FBS teams. The SEC is the worst culprit, although, I believe there were a pair ACC schools that played a played two FCS teams this season. That's ridiculous.
    There are enough "cupcakes" to go around in the FBS - Duke, Rice, New Mexico State, Western Kentucky, Eastern Michigan, Indiana, Iowa State, Colorado, Temple, etc. - that teams do not - and should not be allowed to - schedule FCS teams.
    I would make exceptions in the case of a long-term rivalry when one school moves up to FBS while the other remains in the FCS. But other than that, it should never happen. It doesn't make either team better. It is not the University of Alabama's responsibility to fund the athletic department of Western Carolina or Wofford.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Saying it doesn't make it true. Yes, every SEC team scheduled an FCS team this year. So did every ACC team, nine out of 10 Big 12 teams, nine out of 12 Pac-12 teams and nine out of 12 Big 10 teams.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Problem is that even if the FBS wanted to legislate away the scheduling of FCS games they'd never be able to do it because the FCS schools wouldn't let them. They want those games because they need the money.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Tennessee won the game in Nashville. Wyoming won in Knoxville several years later.

100 percent of the SEC (and the ACC) played an FCS team. Only 90 percent of the Big 12, and 75 percent of the Big Ten/Pac-12 did. That does at least tie the SEC for biggest culprit honors, since 100 percent is larger than 90 or 75 percent. I guess in this case saying so does make it true.

(BTW, I have no problem with an FBS school playing an FCS school. What the NCAA should mandate is, if your conference plays a championship game, then everyone must play nine league games.)

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Why?

12. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. The FCS schools might not be able to survive athletically without those budget boosters.

Draft saved Draft deleted