1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How's The Daily doing?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by As The Crow Flies, Jun 8, 2011.

1. As The Crow Flies

As The Crow Flies Active Member

Does anyone know how The Daily is doing on the iPad? Seemed like an interesting read back when it was introduced, but alas, I don't own an iPad.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I liked it better when it was called USA Today.

3. OceanLottery

OceanLottery Member

To me, the biggest obstacle they're facing is that you're at the mercy of folks buying a piece of technology that's what, anywhere from $500-$800, before they can even look at the thing.

They don't have any name-brand writers on staff, which also hurts.

Only major complaint I've heard is that after the free three-week trial it's fairly difficult to unsubscribe to it (maybe intentionally?). I don't have the iPad, though so I'm not sure if it really is tough to unsubscribe, or the person I was talking to wasn't looking hard enough.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They've hired some very, very good writers, but I agree that they're not "big-name" guys. I know there were a lot of great writers who were approached for that gig who were pretty interested, but couldn't pull the trigger on taking the job. One of the guys, who was at FanHouse at the time, is quite unhappy with his decision, but who's to say that The Daily won't be gone in a year?

5. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I enjoy reading Dan Wolken's columns. He's a bit of a smartass when he writes, which is what I like to do.

I think The Daily is a great idea, but like Crow said, iPads aren't cheap.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, Wolken is a great writer, but I don't have an iPad, so oh well...

7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

They tout a fair amount of stories on their Twitter accounts for folks without tablets ...

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

The Daily is at 1M downloads and nearing 100k subscribers and always in the Top 3 of paid downloads on iTunes.
    I know we're in a profession that pays little. But, if you can afford an iPad (you get 28% of it back come next April), get one. It's an amazing piece of technology, and in my mind, the future. You can find an iPad first generation for just about $250.

9. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

The Daily has been shut down.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Fishwrapper is still probably right from that post long ago, tablet news is likely the future, but those back-to-back posts above my own sure do look cringe-worthy today.

11. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I still believe the majority of people are idiots and cheap about certain things. They'll pay $100 a month for DirecTV but won't pay $200 a year for a subscription to a newspaper. They'll even bitch about an online-only subscription for less than $10 a month. Fuck 'em then, let 'em be ignorant. Glad I don't have to deal with it anymore.

12. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Its dead and will be shut down on Dec 15th.

Draft saved Draft deleted