1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FROM 2012 INTO 2013 POLITICS THREAD

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Sep 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Re: THE 2012 POLITICS THREAD

Didn't say it did. I was trying to say that it's not just women who are currently fighting for jobs. Our world is more diverse and getting a job is not just the purview of white men (which is where the whole women thing came into play because of the GOPers annointing a bunch of good ole boys to House leadership positions) sorry for the mixup.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

nope. my bad. post removed, and i hope you'll accept my apology.

3. GeorgeFHayek

GeorgeFHayek Member

I think the article's misleading. Exempting business firms from paying sales tax for purchases made for their normal course of business is the rule rather than the exception in the U.S., yet that article treats that exemption as an incentive. California has a corporate income tax on corporate/business net earnings, but I would assume that sales taxes are deductible in calculating those earnings*. Yet California's "incentives" total in this article doesn't reflect this.

*Am open to being corrected on this, but I would be very surprised if firms have to add sales tax expenditures back to net earnings to get their taxable income for state tax purposes.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I read awhile back that $75,000 is the new $50,000. I can relate to that.

It means that for working professionals, $50K isn't so big-time anymore.

5. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

My initial remark told of free college tuition and free lunches for families of four under $50,000 in income. I referenced Oklahoma's programs.

Oklahoma voted for the Republican presidential candidate by the greatest percentage margin over the last eight years of any state.

If people like Azrael and Zeke would just figure it out, how this GOP state helps folks all the way up to the income level of those who work 40 hours and can't cover normal expenses, they might actually have people supporting THEIR candidates and believing that they do make a difference, rather than settling for your favorite liberals who promise people at $23,000 that they're being fought for, and are really not.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

What does that say for journalists making, say, $30-35K?

7. Re: THE 2012 POLITICS THREAD

Oklahoma Promise is more than just giving out cash as you have to maintain a certain GPA, take college preparatory course, and participate in other programs.

In addition, tuition for residents is less than half the cost for just attending college, at least at OU.

http://www.ou.edu/content/bursar/tuition_fees.html

The Obamaphone thing is also hilarious. Have you seen the phone given out? It's one per family and it's probably a good idea that those on public assistance have an inexpensive cell phone so that potential employers can get in touch with them.

8. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

I know everyone on this thread knows everything, but...
    The tax code is such a loops and traps maze none of you guys can even pretend to know all or even a few of its intricacies.
    Nor can some writer for the New York Times.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Beautiful piece by Ron Fournier:

How Two Presidents Helped Me Deal With Love, Guilt, and Fatherhood

http://www.nationaljournal.com/magazine/how-two-presidents-helped-me-deal-with-love-guilt-and-fatherhood-20121129

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

During the Republican Primary campaign, the story was, "Republicans aren't willing to raise taxes by $1 in exchange for $10 in spending cuts."

They were so unwilling to deal with the Democrats, who were more than willing to cut spending.

The reality?

Dems want $1.6 trillion in new taxes, and maybe they'll cut $600 billion, thought they won't specify the cuts.

So, where's the criticism of the Dems?

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Because those cuts will hurt the people who need the help the most. The people whose taxes will be raised won't be feeling much pain.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's hilarious it's even called an Obamaphone since St. Reagan signed the bill into law that pays for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.