1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shooting at KC Chiefs facility

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 1, 2012.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

As I've mentioned previously, I covered the Atlanta Falcons in the late '80s, when three players died during the season. They played the next game after every one of them.

Cornerback David Croudip died of a cocaine overdose in October 1988, on a Monday morning. The Falcons played the following Sunday at Denver. I remember that one vividly because one of the Denver papers ran a cartoon depicting the grim reaper standing with Croudip and telling the Broncos' receivers, known as The Three Amigos, "Sorry, Amigos, I already burned him."

Tackle Ralph Norwood died after falling asleep at the wheel and running his car into a tree while driving home from the team's Thanksgiving party in 1989, on a Friday morning (well, after midnight on Thursday night). The Falcons played at the Jets that Sunday.

Tight end Brad Beckman died in a car accident on Dec. 18, 1989, a Monday morning. The team played at home the following Sunday against Detroit (the season finale).

2. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Tired of little f-wads coming on these threads just to shoot a spitball at somebody and then running off.
    Contributing nothing on point, nothing of interest or nothing of entertainment.
    This thread is a mountain of shit.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Post of the year.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Silver on why they shouldn't play.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--nfl-making-mistake-by-allowing-panthers-chiefs-game-to-go-on-as-scheduled-222206231.html

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Silver absolutely nails it. Makes no sense to play today. Football is not a game that should be played if you are not mentally prepared. What The Chiefs have gone through in the past 24 hours puts all of their players at risk.

At a time when the NFL is trying to spin their concern for player safety, this decision rings hollow.

6. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Silver's column sort of touches on it, but I think it's important to note that the team captains were reportedly unanimous in their decision to want to play today:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/01/report-chiefs-captains-wanted-to-play-as-scheduled/

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

On Jovan Belcher's FB page, he has liked the page Male Athletes Against Violence.

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

HBOs Real Sports did a story this week on Rae Carruth and did a jailhouse interview with the hitman and the grandmother of the child who survived. Closest thing I can think of.

Same episode also had a feature on the number of hits your head takes through a season, with a focus on college players.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If the game was not played, would the players still be paid?

If that questions was posed to the players, week off and no pay, I honestly wonder what their reaction would be.

Not being glib, but money talks. If I had a coworker pass away and they decided to shut down for two days, but not pay me, I would want to work.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

So you're me and you know what I'm thinking?

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

if they cancel the game would the workers who actually need the money get paid? The hourly workers in the concession stands, the club house guys, the stadium workers and waitresses and bartenders and cooks and busboys around the stadium?

One of the Chief's players murders a new mother and leaves a three month old child an orphan is no occasion to mourn the loss of a beloved teammate. If the Chiefs really want to to do something nice they will honor his contract and pay the reminder if his salary into a trust fund for that poor parent less child and have the Hunt's investment advisor manage the fund.

12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Flipped on radio station WHB Saturday morning and it had hosts in studio and a reporter at Arrowhead. Needless to say, it was quite shocking to hear what they were reporting.

A few pages back, it was mentioned a weekend morning is the absolutely worse time for staffing at a television newsroom. Very true. I'm sure it was a scramble to get all hands on deck.

Draft saved Draft deleted