1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

barry horn on ed werder's daughter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shockey, Nov 26, 2012.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I hate when my jealousy pops out on threads like this.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

As true as that is, it doesn't improve the collection of alliterative sentence fragments and half-formed thoughts currently under discussion here.

That said, I extend my warmest thoughts to the Werders for good health in the future.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

thank you, frank. a relief to know at least one grown-up could get past the amateurish prose to concentrate on the message. it was news to me as well, which is why i posted it. i surely didnt post it so barry's mailed-in piece could be dissected.

oops! i just realized i'm at least partially to blame. i put an awful hed on this, perhaps making it see 'barry horn' was why i had posted the thread. i posted it thinking the story itself would be appreciated by some.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It's like the Christmas thread, Shockey. Your heart is in the right place, but the threadjack is strong in some.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

backup and understanding, hansense. my self-esteem is at an all-time low lately and i'm quick to apologize, just figuring i effed up somehow. i like to think my heart is always in the right place but expressing things clearly seems to have been a challenge of late.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Most everyone who questioned the writing mentioned it was a nice story and sent good wishes to the Werders. It's not like anyone overlooked the message, as hard as the story was to get through.

7. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Wonder how much more unreadable it would have been if one the Gangrey titans had written it.
    Honestly don't see what the problem is.
    It was fast food. It served its purpose.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

We're a jealous twosome, aren't we?

9. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

Haven't read Barry in a long time but at the very least he used to be considered a hell of a takeout guy. I suppose working in a sweet gig at the DMN for so many years can make one complacent. But I wouldn't say that's happened to him. Maybe he just needs a challenge.

Even the best in the profession will produce a mediocre product from time to time.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Chalked full, I tell ya!
    But you are wrong, NR, that he should have let her go to the Super Bowl on Jerry's dime. As a sportswriter who covered the team, he couldn't ethically let her take that trip, unfortunately.

11. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

I get that the usual ethics are against it.

But who cares? Who would have enforced that?

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Nobody. But Werder seemingly being one of the more professional guys out there, it doesn't surprise me a bit that he didn't let her make the trip.

Draft saved Draft deleted