1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporter canned over (lack of) byline

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I understand your idealism. I really do. But the reporter is wrong here. No judge will side with him. That's the way it is. It's black and white.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I agree on that. Employment is usually at-will, unless there's a contract. They can fire the guy at any time, and the employees can walk out at any time.

Neither of which, in this case, resolved the situation.

3. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Why do you think that?

Insubordination is a firing offense. At least I believe the state will see it that way.

4. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

What was the insubordinate act? Asking that his byline be removed? Remember, that was APPROVED by his immediate superior, the city editor ... and if the editor and publisher were so gung-ho about the byline being on there, they could have told the city editor to put it back on ... sounds like that didn't happen ...

5. hpdrifter

hpdrifter Member

On a side note, I find it amusing that some editors don't want quotes from an anonymous source because it's BS if they can't put their name on it....and then use items bylined as "Staff Report."

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

1. I'm impressed as hell the city editor stood up for the original reporter and quit.

2. After reading the story copperpot linked, I'm more curious than ever about the whole pledge thing. I find it bizarre that the council member would do it sometimes, but not all, and why he wouldn't bother standing when he decided not to partake.

If you don't believe it or don't want to recite it, that's one thing. But to do it sometimes and then not bother sometimes? That's just weird.

7. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

1. As did two of his fellow reporters ... that right there tells me the reporter that got canned wasn't a prima donna, wasn't someone who just pitched a fit over the littlest and most insignificant things, and someone that actually knew what he was doing ...

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

[​IMG]

Whoever suggested Angelina Jolie play Paula Broadwell was dead-on. Jolie is much sexier, obviously, but Bob Woodward didn't look like Robert Redford.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I am not arguing that he didn't know what he was doing.

I am just pointing out that I don't think he's got any kind of makings of a lawsuit.

10. The mere fact that people with editorial decision-making powers so routinely consider frivolous horseshit like "An alderman didn't stand for the pledge!" to be more important news than budget issues goes a good deal toward explaining why 1. No one trusts the media anymore and 2. How our country ended up in such a fucked-up financial situation. Carry on.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

When I see a budget story, my eyes glaze over.

Just sayin'.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Sadly, I agree with both of these posts.

Draft saved Draft deleted