1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How To Write a Profile or Interview-based Article

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by sportsnut, Nov 7, 2012.

1. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I have never done a story from a simple Question and Answer form. So, I wanted to see if the experts right here had any good ideas in regards to write one?

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Can you be more specific? What type of advice do you need?

3. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I have a handful of questions in a Q&A format and a team written bio to use. I have never turned this into a interview/profile based interview article. FYI, it's about a specific NFL cheerleader and is supposed to be a series that they will publish each week of a different girl.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

How long does the story need to be? The best approach would be to get the answers to the questions, then peg your lead to the most interesting answer and take it from there, weaving in the other quotes/anecdotes as you see fit. Why are you using a Q&A? Can you not do a sit-down interview? Can I assume you are a student/intern?

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

This assignment is awful. Try to find out anything you can that might make each individual cheerleader different, and go with that.

6. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

That's a good point and I understand. I am using a QandA as they are giving us a bone to see what we do with it before they let us to the real sit down.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Are you e-mailing the Q&A, and are you looking for what type of questions to ask, or do you need to know how to build the story after you get the answers. Or both? Versatile's advice is a good one. Do NOT make all the stories about how Jennifer wanted to become a Bucs cheerleader since she went games with her dad when she was 8. You need to find a hook, which comes from asking good questions. Did she play sports in school? What does she get out of cheering? What are her future plans? Is she a college student or a mother or a stripper? Whatever will elicit an interesting response. I am still a bit lost on the assignment here, but I'll help if I can. PM me if you wish. I'll be off the next few days, but will respond when I can. You can even send me a copy of what you are working with and I can edit/look over your questions/whatever. Can't guarantee it'll be in a timely manner, but ...

Draft saved Draft deleted