1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The latest from Bleacher Report

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Screwball, Nov 1, 2012.

1. TurnTwo2

TurnTwo2 Member

Not to mention creating rumors out of thin air, if that makes any sense.

2. Dawgpound17

Dawgpound17 Member

Yes, that makes sense. Again it's a watered down version of Deadspin.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You either never read Deadspin or never read Bleacher Report.

4. TurnTwo2

TurnTwo2 Member

I agree, I don't think you've ever read Deadspin.

I was actually talking about Rant Sports with creating rumors. Bleacher Report at least knows the difference between speculation on their own part and legitimate rumors.

5. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I am not defending anyone here but would it not be a great recruiting tool for future sports reporter, columnists etc? If I was in High School or even College and read stories like the backstage pass feature stories the LA Times is doing on specific areas of the NFL. I would be more inclined to maybe jump into the field because of the cool shit we are able to do etc. I am not talking about being a homer, but an inside look into a day of a sports reporter or A's beat reporter etc.

6. Dawgpound17

Dawgpound17 Member

The Deadspin comment was meant as "it's not legitimate reporting" not saying BR=Deadspin just that really I've read both and don't consider either to be legitimate.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

To say this shows you don't read Deadspin, at least not regularly.

8. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

B/R has a considerable number of paid employees now -- mostly editors. And most of them come from the same background as candidates you'd consider for assignment editor jobs in a big newsroom.

They also have an impressive training curriculum. It's like J-school on a few web pages. Cuts out a lot of nonsense and tells 19-year-olds how to act and write like pros, albeit within B/R's unique style.

The problem for the discerning reader or the experienced writer is that it's soooo SEO-oriented. And if you thought churning out two daily stories off your beat at your first 20,000-circ paper was tough, you should see how much these guys are doing each day.

Maybe most of their writers couldn't do what I do. But I couldn't do what they do. Maybe I'm just too old.

But for even the best of them, the sheer pace of work leads to sloppiness and doesn't lend itself to insightful analysis.

If they'd ease up on their writers -- particularly anyone who's capable of doing more -- and let them write for the robust platform B/R has built, they could be on to something.

But SBNation is doing that instead, particularly with its new long-form offerings.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

They may be telling the 19-year-olds how to write like pros, but it's not working.

Draft saved Draft deleted