1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Full-time Prep reporter position in Fort Myers

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by EdReed, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Interesting ...

rb

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Apparently they are down to finalists at this point, with the bar set mighty high -- I know of one 20-year vet that didn't even garner an interview.

rb

3. EdReed

EdReed Member

This position is back open. I am still looking for a reporter to lead our high school coverage. Start pay is $36,000 with a stipend for relocation money. The primary duties are covering 20 or so high schools in Lee County plus enterprise/project work on sports. We think digital/online first so candidates need to be comfortable shooting video and using Twitter to feed our website, iPad pages and mobile pages. Our print product, while still strong, is only a piece of what we do now.
    There will be some cross over in helping cover the Boston Red Sox and Minnesota Twins during spring training plus some golf coverage for our local, PGA, LPGA and Seniors events.
    Some experience on a smaller daily is preferred, but not mandatory.
    If interested email me at ereed@news-press.com.

4. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

If we sent our stuff the last time, should we send again?

5. writingump

writingump Member

So as long as you can shoot video and tweet, it doesn't matter if you can write or not?

6. EdReed

EdReed Member

I am asking for enterprise/project work as examples of writing. The first thing I look at are the clips. We also have contacted all the applicants from our first casting call we felt would be a good fit for our department.

7. writingump

writingump Member

OK, Ed. Was just curious. Seems like writing is less of an emphasis these days for many newspapers. Best of luck in finding someone who fits the bill!

8. Big_Worm

Big_Worm New Member

Any word on this one?

9. captainneo

captainneo New Member

That job was filled according to my moles.

10. Congrats to my man Tariq Lee....He's going to do a wonderful job at this

11. EdReed

EdReed Member

Yes, I can confirm that we hired Tariq Lee. I talked to some outstanding journalists out there and it's great there are still so many quality people out there in our profession.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Excellent hire. He's a bright young talent from Temple University, a school that has many quality individuals in the business.

Draft saved Draft deleted