1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Fort Smith (Ark.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ScottFaldon, Aug 15, 2012.

1. ScottFaldon

ScottFaldon Member

The Times Record in Fort Smith, Ark., is looking for a sports writer.

The main focus will be high school coverage, but you will also have the chance to write features on local athletes playing at various Division I programs, help with coverage of the local NCAA Division II program and write columns and blog on local, regional and national events.

Candidates should have a college degree and some newspaper experience, knowledge of AP style, the ability to write on a tight deadline, experience with social media and blogging and to juggle multiple projects. In return, you’ll get the freedom to set your own schedule, latitude to work on enterprise pieces, a competitive salary and benefits package.

The Times Record is a 38,000-circulation (43,000 Sundays) daily. We’re the second-largest newspaper in Arkansas, in the second-largest city in Arkansas. Fort Smith has a low cost of living and is centrally located to several major cities. Yes, "True Grit" was set here.

Send resume, references and clips to Times Record, Attn: Sports Editor Scott Faldon, P.O. Box 1359, Fort Smith AR 72902. Or e-mail them to sfaldon@swtimes.com

https://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1408740

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

First off, Scott is good people.

Second, did someone leave?

3. RangerBear

RangerBear New Member

This seems like a pretty solid gig. Kind of surprising not more info/input here about this one.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

I heard the SE looks hot in a bow tie.

5. Matt Stephens

Seconded.

6. ScottFaldon

ScottFaldon Member

Yes, one of our guys is taking a gig as a weekend sports anchor at a TV station in town.

If anybody here has sent resumes, please be patient. Our football tab was published today and we had a Babe Ruth World Series happening here last week. Plus high school volleyball started. So I'm way behind in even reading resumes and clips. I think I've emailed everybody back to let them know that, but I might have missed a couple. If so, sorry.

(Thanks for the kind words about my bow ties.)

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I know the writing crew there. Not sure any of them are made for TV. :D

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If writing for TV involves "Congratulations Cassie on your badminton scholarship," I'll stick with my typing fingers made for print.

On the other hand, if it's that easy to break in to TV and actually report news, I'll blow the local spares away.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

hmmmmm, faldon.

10. Matt Stephens

Filled. And by an extremely talented/qualified candidate.

11. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

Don't be so modest. Congratulations, Matt! :D

12. Matt Stephens

lol not me. I just left NWA in June.

Draft saved Draft deleted