1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apply for job, tell the wife or no?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 25, 2012.

1. GeorgeFHayek

GeorgeFHayek Member

You've been married long? Because a lot of what makes a successful marriage work is what you don't say. And, besides, he's not being dishonest. He's not telling his wife something that, at this point, isn't anything.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

"I applied for a job and didn't tell you" isn't on that list. Sorry.

3. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

I don't think you necessarily need to tell her. I don't tell my wife every job I apply for. It can wait until the hiring manager has at least returned some interest, and you've discussed salary range and other generalities. This arrangement seems to work well for us.

Applying for any job is just the first step of a lengthy process that most likely won't result in you taking the job.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'm 0-for-1 in marriages so maybe I am not the world's greatest expert, but:

1) If the first application consists of only sending off a letter and clips, I think you would be fine to say "I sent off a resume to Butt Knuckle, Wyoming" and leave it at that.

2) If a letter comes back indicating they're at all interested, it's time to bring Wifey into the loop. If there may be a decision to be made, she should be given info to think about it ahead of time. Not a good idea to hit her with the decision as a fait accompli.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

You've got to tell her.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Telling your wife shows that you value her interests, too. That pays dividends.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

For the most part, I would agree with telling her when you apply.

Now, if you have been out of work for a while (or some other circumstance) and are routinely applying for multiple jobs all over the board, maybe it's not necessary to go over the daily list every night at dinner. "Honey, today I applied for jobs at the New York Times, USA Today, Denver Post, Chicago Tribune and Podunk Press." But if you get so much as a nibble in response, I'd sure tell her.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

KJIM excluded, the women of SportsJournalists.com are noticeably absent from this thread. I'm thinking they went puppy punching (possible euphemism) when they read the OP.

9. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I've been trying to figure out how to let Mrs. Hayek know her husband has a lengthy list of things she'd be so much happier not knowing.

10. GeorgeFHayek

GeorgeFHayek Member

She wouldn't be surprised. In all likelihood she'd whip out an equally long list.

11. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I laughed quite forcefully at that.

12. Bernie51

Bernie51 New Member

So you send this off, without saying anything and then it turns out to be something you want. And then you have to tell her. Here's how her thought bubbles go:

Why wouldn't he have told me about this right away? {which leads to...
    Why was he keeping it a secret for a month? {which leads to.....
    What else is he not telling me? {which leads to.....
    Now I can't trust him.
    This is followed shortly by....
    Why doesn't he think he can talk with me about things like this? {which leads to...
    What's wrong with me?

Draft saved Draft deleted