1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jaguars to partially abandon that hellhole Jacksonville

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Aug 20, 2012.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The metro population is over 1 million. By my math, that's more than two people.
    Also, Jacksonville the 13th-fastest growing city in the U.S. in the last decade: http://www.newgeography.com/content/002186-the-census%E2%80%99-fastest-growing-cities-of-the-decade

Jax ranked ahead of Denver, DC, Tampa-St. Pete, Miami-Lauderdale, Seattle-Tacoma, San Diego, Baltimore and Indy.

Again, don't let facts affect your rants.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Always thought Jacksonville was pretty nice. I really thought being the only game in town (like the Spurs in San Antonio or the Flames in Calgary), they would draw pretty well. I understand that, for most of their history, the on field product has been pretty mediocre, though.

3. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I can imagine. While I've never been to a game at the SkyDome (I know, I know, Rogers..), I have had friends, Canadian and American, who agree the experience isn't the same. No true tailgating, fans wearing other NFL jerseys - maybe even more than Buffalo unis.

I think an extension was just signed too.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Uninformed my ass. I've got several family members who are season ticket holders and they're not happy with the franchise. Jax is an NFL city. Fans are still supporting but there's no question the college game is more popular with fans in the city than the NFL product.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

It's a fucking joke. Buddy of mine is a sales bigshot at Rogers and he gave me two tickets for last year's game against Washington (200 level around the 10-yard line, face value $195!) and I took Huggy Jr. to his first NFL game. Awful, sterile, fake game day, nowhere to park so no tailgating but hey, go to gate 11 for the "official tailgate party" featuring all the $10 beer you can pay for!

The gameday at the Ralph is awesome - I love it in the dead of winter! - and you can't recreate it. (Drunkest people at any Bills tailgate? Inevitably Canadians who never get to do this at home.) And yes, fans of every NFL team were all over the place. Loads of 'Skins fans there last year, probably 50/50 with the Bills fans.

I went to three of the four International Bowls at the 'dome and they had a better atmosphere (particularly the UConn-Buffalo game) than the Bills game.

6. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

The gameday experience in Buffalo is easily one of the best in the league.
    Another city the haters like to target.

7. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Though I am partial to Jax Beach

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Change it from Jag-wires? NO FUCKING WAY! :D

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Indeed, impossible to have a bad time at a Bills game, even if you are a Dolphins fan like me. Buffalo is a damn fine party town.

Went to some Lions games at the Silverdome and it couldn't compare at all to Buffalo. Is it better at Ford Field?

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

What makes a certain place good or bad?

All I care about are the sightlines, the ease of parking and accessibility and having enough concessions and restrooms so that I don't have to miss an entire quarter while waiting in line.

11. Many misinformed folks re: Jacksonville and the Jaguars. If...actually WHEN I get a gig that allows me to live wherever I want, Jax makes my top 2.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Along with?

Draft saved Draft deleted