1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2012 Rolling cycling thread -- US Pro Challenge edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Re: 2012 Rolling cycling thread -- Tour de France edition

True. I was thinking of it more in terms of the Olympic interruption complicating an already full calendar of racing and training.

I'm likewise curious as to how the overlap of all these late August races might influence fan interest and TV viewership, especially here. Up? Down? Better? Worse? Does the Colorado race have enough star power this year? Does Spain?

Fan favorite Tom Boonen was racing in the Hamburg classic yesterday, for example. Is it an embarrassment of riches? Or too much of a good thing?

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Farrar wins the opening stage today.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Disappointing TV coverage. Two-hour block and it's done after an hour -- with 30 minutes of commercials thrown in. They were virtually on top of Lizard Head when NBCSN came on the air.

Good turnout in Telluride.

99 miles from Montrose to Crested Butte tomorrow.

4. Inky_Wretch

The coverage threw me for a loop too. It's blocked until 6 p.m. Eastern, so we've got an hour of coverage after the stage ends.

Looking ahead, the replay isn't on until 11. And it looks like a straight replay of what is on now.

5. MileHigh

I dug up the spectator guide -- they totally misjudged how long it would take them to finish.

Race started at 10 in Durango and on the spectator guide, it shows an estimated finish of 3:50 p.m. -- so race officials missed the target finish time by nearly an hour.

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Interesting. I worked the Tour of Utah last week and the tech guide was almost spot on with estimated finish times.

While one day shorter and not going as high in elevation, I'd venture the Tour of Utah was a much more difficult race based on the heat, the climbing and the distance.

Regardless, this is probably the best it has been for American cycling in decades. Three high-calibre UCI stage races, rising American stars and Lance Armstrong's legacy circling the toilet

7. Inky_Wretch

OK, I forgive NBCSN for yesterday in exchange for this Race of Truth show that's on right now. It's an inside look at yesterday's stage with team car coverage and interviews and no Bobke.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Vuelta in the morning, US Pro in the afternoon. Really great week to watch cycling.

9. MileHigh

Big stage today. Up and over Cottonwood Pass (which will be packed with people and the riders will be on unpaved road for about 15 miles), then Independence Pass before going into Aspen.

10. Inky_Wretch

Watching USA Pro on the Tour Tracker app is fantastic. Video, an updating map of the peloton and any breaks, status updates from the official Twitter feed.

On the way down Cottonwood, some riders were hitting 62 mph.

11. Inky_Wretch

I know there is an Armstrong thread a few pages back, but I thought I'd just drop this here.

http://www.bicycling.com/news/featured-stories/injustice-all?page=0,0

It kind of summed up my feelings on this.

12. MileHigh

Glad the weather held off this year so the pictures could come through. That was a crazy scene at the top of Independence.

Draft saved Draft deleted