1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Daily Courier, Forest City, N.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tarheel316, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

The Daily Courier in Forest City, N.C. is seeking a Sports Editor for our daily community newspaper in western North Carolina. This position covers a wide-range of stories, from game precedes, notebooks, gamers and features. Must be able to develop story ideas, take photographs, develop sources, prepare web site updates, and work in a cooperative team environment. Journalism education and/or experience and a love for prep/youth sports are required. Forest City is located in Rutherford County, home to the new Facebook Data Center and some of the best scenery and people in the state. If you are hungry and can hit the ground running, we want to talk to you. Please send a cover letter and resume to Matthew Clark at mclark@thedigitalcourier.com.

It's Paxton, so be forewarned. I don't where the current SE is heading to. I've emailed him to find out. Mostly preps here and they have a collegiate wooden bat team in the summer.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

They've actually started to cover Gardner-Webb sports as well. They had someone at Big South media days.

3. slc10

slc10 Member

I am going to plead guilty on knowing absolutely nothing about Paxton. I would appreciate a brief 411 on them. I am coming out of a family owned newspaper where the relationship was good for a few years and then deteriorated to a point where they found a reason to dismiss people including myself. In other words I would like to avoid drama if possible.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

What little I know of Paxton is that it's not a place to avoid drama, in the job security sense.

Then again, what newspaper is any more.

5. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I was at Forest City for nearly six years right out of college and learned a lot then as a green SE in a newsroom that had some really nice talent. Of course, it's been shredded like everything else, and I don't know where they're printing or what the deadlines are. Job is what the ad says, including the youth sports, which means Little League All-Stars. I have a few horror stories of those months, but nothing unlike anybody else has who's worked at the small daily level. Town is western NC in the foothills about 90 minutes from Charlotte and is your typical small town, though I admit I haven't been through there in several years.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Richard Hord posted on his Facebook page that he starts this job tomorrow. So I'm going to guess Richard Hord got this job.

7. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Interesting. I'd heard from someone who used to work there that most of their Gardner-Webb coverage last fall came from the school's SID, though you wouldn't know it from the byline.

8. robertobajo

robertobajo New Member

A lot of work/responsibility for "Somewhere between 25 and 30K."

9. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

I'll really be surprised if they give the guy $30K to start ... knowing Paxton like I do, he'll start somewhere near the $25K end and stay there ...

10. robertobajo

robertobajo New Member

Well, $25,001 is between 25 and 30K....

11. This job posting just popped up on jjobs. Any chance that position didn't get filled so quickly after all?

12. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

I wondered that myself ... I reaching out to some people I know there, and will keep everyone posted ...

Draft saved Draft deleted