1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How closely will you be following the Olympics?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I didn't ask about you. I notice most sports writers who complain about the Olympics are those who will never have a realistic shot to cover them.

2. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I'd like the events NBC is showing to actually be live. Too bad NBC hasn't figured that out yet, and insists on pre-packaging prime time.

3. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

I would guess some journalists here dislike the Olympics because it brings up bad memories of covering dull, lower-tier prep sports such as swimming...

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

How will you show swimming, volleyball, soccer, archery, badminton and tennis all live when they happen at the same time? I got up before dawn to watch the cycling road race live. Then I watched archery and basketball live, then indoor volleyball, then beach volleyball. There's plenty of stuff live.

I could see showing some stuff live and then doing a prime-time highlights show, like CBC used to do. But since 8 pm ET is 1 am in London, you have to show SOMETHING during your peak hours.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

And transportation. I took public transportation to get to the media center because it was twice as fast as the media bus.

6. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

The same way NBC already is showing all those things live, via multiple cable channels and alternate platforms.

NBC lost what little credibility it had left when it cut from the swimming venue to Bela Karolyi growling semi-comprehensively in a studio just before the men's 400 IM final.

I saw that race live via NBC's iPhone app, but it should have already aired on television. Pretending events didn't happen so they can miraculously unfold in prime time isn't news. Given the zillions of ways of getting the results (and video), it isn't very entertaining either.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

They could hold the Olympics on my block, but there would still be a language barrier with the coaches and athletes that don't speak English.

8. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

so again to recap, the downside of the Atlanta games were transportation and language barrier, not the terrorist attack?

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Sounds like a plan. But they had me anyway.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'd forgotten how irritating that is.

I'm going to be watching a lot more online than I will on TV, I know that.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

was that a general assignment type of thing, or were you covering somebody specific?

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I was answering Stich's question about covering the Games, the good and bad sides. I wasn't covering that. I do remember watching the TV coverage from the apartment (it happened at 1 a.m.; I was done for the day and back home watching swimming on tape from earlier that evening).

I just remember going to the venue the next morning and it was raining. No one was talking much, everyone seemed pretty numb. None of us were sure if they would suspend the Games for a period, like was done in Munich in 1972. We were all just sort stunned. We were told not to change how we covered events, not to ask specific questions about the bombing, but if an athlete wanted to bring it up in a press conference, that was OK.

Draft saved Draft deleted