1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL off-season running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Just because Shanahan plugged in some average backs behind a stellar line in Denver and got results doesn't mean every team can do it.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If chop blocking were called as it should be, no one would be getting away with what Mike Shanahan did in Denver for years ...

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

There is that.

I don't think it's any coincidence Alex Gibbs also recently worked in Houston under Kubiak. Or that one of their linemen was fined for a leg whip a few years ago.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I know you guys think highly of Brown, but again, two career touchdowns. He had one of the worst catches-to-touchdown rates in the league last year. Steve Breaston is the only guy in the top 50 in yardage with two touchdowns or less. And a lot of those guys are playing with really bad quarterbacks.

I'm stunned, at the very least, they didn't wait a year.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Judging a receiver only on touchdown receptions may work fine for fantasy football, but it is far too simplistic to be useful in the real world.

I'm not sure who is involved in "you guys" other than me, but i'm far from the only one thinking that highly of Brown. His teammates voted him the Steelers' MVP this past season. The front office that built one of the most consistent winners in the game seems to kinda like him, too.

I think it was too early, too, but not because I question his ability. Right now, Brown is better than Wallace even though he has one fewer season in the league. Does Wallace have more upside? Absolutely. But when teams adjusted last season, he didn't have enough of a complete game to counter them.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Can you imagine the shitstorm of next off season if they wait a year on Brown and have Wallace to deal with?

Brown will cross the goal line this season. He's a hell of a football player.

7. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

The player that I was most impressed by today at training camp was #28, Justin Forsett. I am pretty excited to see what he brings to the preseason games.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Kyle Boller retires a day after signing with the Chargers.

Maybe he thought it was going to be one of those ceremonial things and couldn't believe it when they said "No, we actually want you to play."

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Alex Gibbs was almost as dirty as Gregg Williams. He coached for a while in Atlanta. Took out - or tried to, anyway - his share of the Carolina Panthers for a while. Got Mike Rucker's ankle to knock him out for a game or so. Funny how the Panthers had a few knee and ankle issues after games against the Falcons during Gibbs' tenure there.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8225861/randy-lerner-sells-cleveland-browns-more-1b-sources-say

The Cleveland Browns were sold to Jimmy Haslam, a minority owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers. it is a newsworthy item that belongs on the board. And that's all I've got to say about that.

Draft saved Draft deleted