1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL off-season running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Brown is not a bad receiver, but $42 million for someone with one good season and two career touchdowns is madness. (And when you give $42 million to a 25-year-old, he's getting all the money. It's not a fake contract.) I don't care if you want to tell Wallace to pound sand or not. Brown is still a player under your control for another season before he can even become a restricted free agent.

For instance, the Ravens Torrey Smith -- who is a bad route runner, has marginal hands and has a much worse quarterback throwing to him -- caught seven touchdowns last year. As a rookie. And he actually had a better average yards per catch than Brown (16.3 to 16.1). At some point, potential needs to become production.

I guess I get that he adds an important element in the return game. And the Steelers certainly do deserve the benefit of the doubt. (I wouldn't want my No. 1 receiver returning punts and kicks all year, though.) I just think WRs like Wallace are really hard to find, and WRs like Brown are findable if you know how to draft well. And Roethlisberger probably makes those receivers look a little better than they are anyway, because they get to run around on broken plays for 10 seconds and get open after three different changes of direction when defensive ends are bouncing off the quarterback.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Brown is a play maker.

I have no problem with him as the #1 and Sanders as the #2. The kid they drafted from Florida will do returns.

At the beginning of last season, ESPN Scouts had Sanders rated ahead of Brown. Early in their careers it seemed Sanders was better, but he had a few small injuries that allowed Brown to get ahead of him on the depth chart.

It would be nice to run out Wallace, Brown and Sanders this season, but if Wallace fucks that up, then cut bait on him and trade him for DL, safety, LB help or depth.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Ya, that should be easy.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Evan Royster, Roy Helu, and Tim Hightower's still not fully healed. Wouldn't hurt to have an established RB in the mix. Not sure I'd want Benson, but someone. Shanny loves to sign 5 RBs for almost nothing and cut three of them later.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea for the 'Skins. I was just joking about my earlier reference to the Redskins and Raiders being the teams you can always count on to go after players no one wants or make deals no one else will.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Those days are done in Oakland with a competent personnel chief in tow. Not so much with the Redskins.

It's going to be sad not being able to make fun of the Raiders. They're just another team now instead of a joke factory.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Arien Foster goes from being undrafted to leading the league in rushing. How else do you account for that other than a really good O-line?

Wallace is looking really dumb for holding out.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

An outlier. He started for an SEC power. It isn't like he walked in off the street.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Foster was a pretty good player at Tennessee. He just had a major fumbling problem and was a bit of a head case.

He was projected as a second-round pick after his junior year:

http://www.freezepage.com/1317964388MVWGFPNOKR

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

So all 32 teams passed on him? Why?

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Injuries and craziness.

http://www.faniq.com/blog/Tennessees-Arian-Foster-Will-Only-Talk-To-People-Who-Speak-In-Pterodactyl-Blog-12497

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think you are underrating Brown and overrating Wallace, but I do wonder why they felt they had to lock up Brown this early.

Draft saved Draft deleted