1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Posnanski and the Paterno book

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

True.

Absolutely.

I still don't think it's a good sign.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Correct. Pretty damning account of Stump's fabrications here:

http://sabr.org/research/georgia-peach-stumped-storyteller

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

And that book was pretty sympathetic to Rich Rod. It ripped the Free Press stories to boot.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Re the SI aspect of this, why is anyone surprised they didn't want to promote a book by a guy who just quit? They saw the material in June, he had just resigned at the end of March. Why would they want his book??

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

There was a TON of Rich Rod asskissing in that book. Of course, as we've seen, most major-program coaches expect/demand total/utter feality.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Just what I was thinking. In SI's eyes, Pos leaving that gig (which, IIRC he described before and after as his "dream job") for something under the MLB media umbrella was perhaps a slap in the face. So no free advertisement, which a book excerpt is.

7. swenk

swenk Member

Some answers from the publisher:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/23/business/media/in-posnanskis-paterno-a-biography-with-bad-timing.html?ref=business

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

"A balanced biography" is an interesting choice of words.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh, I don't think it was RichRod necessarily demanding it. I think Bacon genuinely thought the guy got railroaded by the weirdo fan base up there and the AD/prez.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Well that sure doesn't make me feel any better than S&S knows what they're doing with it. :(

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Is there something about PR that makes people incapable of acknowledging even the most obvious truths? Library guy says the appearance was canceled because of Posnanski's "work obligations."

12. The latest SI cover:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted