1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Full-time Prep reporter position in Fort Myers

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by EdReed, Jul 20, 2012.

1. EdReed

EdReed Member

We are looking to act fast since its already late July. We are making a push to digital, tablet and mobile as our website will be going to a paid content model in November. Reporters also must shoot video on their iPhones (which we provide).
    ----
    The News-Press in Fort Myers, FL, seeks an aggressive journalist to lead its high school sports coverage. This reporter must be comfortable in print and on digital platforms. The right candidate must go beyond game stories and features and emphasize the development of enterprise and watchdog stories as well as breaking news. This reporter must be able to inform our readers online through social media, blogs and be able to shoot their own video for posting and oversee the content on our high school website – usatodayhss.com.
    Send your resume, five clips (including two enterprise pieces), examples of your best digital work and your Twitter handle to reporterjobs@news-press.com. Please write “high school reporter” in the subject line of the email. No phone calls please.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Yeah, that's what I want to spend my hard-earned money on: iPhone videos.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

iphone 4 records in 1080p

My mom and step dad live down there close to the orange juice place. Pretty cool area and you are not that far from Miami/Tampa.

4. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

I have about three followers. Does that make me ineligible for the job?

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

No. You're hired.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Joking aside, that's a very interesting request.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

All applicants are going through and cleaning up their Twitter feed as we speak.

8. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

See, that was really the gist of my question. . . .are they asking to see if you can attract followers or to see what you use twitter for?

9. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

If you've been at a shop that doesn't put any stock into social media, then it's tough to gain any sort of large Twitter following. So it's not really the handler's fault. I'd think (but I could be completely wrong), they want to know if you're at least trying to use it for your beat.

10. CaymanGuy

CaymanGuy Member

Weeds out old-timers, er -- veteran reporters, familiar with love handles but fogged about Twitter handles.

11. EdReed

EdReed Member

Regarding Twitter, yes more interested in if a reporter is using it and what kind of information they post and not by follower numbers. I think I have about 50 followers. :'(
    Using Twitter will be a part of the job.

12. slc10

slc10 Member

I have zero followers on my account.

Draft saved Draft deleted