1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ichiro to the Yankees

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Ichiro has a hit and stolen base so far. The Yankeeography is already being planned.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Not at all. Everyone knew the M's were not going to pay big money for him next year, and that this was his last season in Seattle. This way he leaves with some dignity, for the lack of a better term, and the fans know he was dealt to a team he wanted to go to, as he could have vetoed any trade as a 10-and-5 guy.

Griffey's departure was a PR disaster. This is smooth as silk, and even better since the fans get to acknowledge him and his accomplishments immediately. He got a great ovation when he came up to bat the first time.

I know he wants 3,000 hits but it would not surprise me one bit to see him go back to Japan for one final year in 2013. Of course, if he has a great final two months with the Yankees they might think he's better than Jones or Ibanez as a fourth OF next year, when Gardner (Ichiro lite) returns.

Ichiro might take far less money to stay with the Yankees.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Interesting that he's wearing number 31 and not his usual 51. Yankees haven't allowed anyone to wear 51 since deciding not to bring back Bernie Williams (who still has not officially retired, I think).

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Bernie and the broadcasters joked about that at Old-Timer's Day. He said he's never retired because he wants to break Satchel Paige's record for oldest player ever.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

And some of us shed a metaphorical tear for Big Dave Winfield.

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Of course, that's a number that will never be retired as long as the Steinbrenner family runs the franchise.

7. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

The Mariners might take a bit of a PR hit now, but the trade saved them from either taking a huge PR hit in the offseason (letting Ichiro walk as a free agent) or making an indefensible contract offer (paying through the nose to keep Ichiro, despite his best days being well behind him).

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Agree 100 percent. A good move for the Mariners, and maybe he'll get hot and help the Yankees down the stretch.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Why do people think the Mariners are going to take a PR hit? He requested a trade and they were more than happy to grant him his wish.

10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I'm basing it off the reactions I've seen from Mariners fans I know. Things along the lines of "there goes the franchise" and thinking the Yankees ripped off the Mariners, as if they're getting 2004 Ichiro and not .288 OBP Ichiro.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Really? For Mr. May? Please.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Nor should it be.

Draft saved Draft deleted