1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paging Lynn Hoppes ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riptide, Jul 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

As Stitch noted, Albom.

Wonder if they'll change their membership rules now that some bigger papers are dumping the seven-day print schedule. Last I knew, they were inviting college students to join, but our 135-year-old weekly wasn't eligible. So much for that.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I've learned more at the few APSE events I've attended than all the other seminars or workshops I've attended combined and one thing I really appreciate about the group is what it does to help out small papers.

When I was a small-town sports editor Toby Carrig recruited me to join, they paid for me to go to one of the regional conferences and be on a panel about covering high school athletes and coaches who get in trouble with the law, paid my way to Orlando to judge a contest (where I learned so, so much), other members were willing to critique our section, a vice president slot is reserved for a person from a small paper and it is a way to get to know people in this business you might never meet otherwise.

It's not a perfect organization, but it serves several purposes quite well. And they've never given me an award, so that's not influencing my praise at all. I like 'em despite that. ;)

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

There are people in any industry are champions at networking and boosting their careers with smoke and mirrors.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

OK if I cut-and-paste this for my cover letter on my next job application to Lynn Hoppes?

:D

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

If you are asking, you're doing it wrong. :D

6. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

I never made it to the national APSE convention, but I attended one regional convention and got a ton out of it. I can only imagine how valuable the national convention is.

Hell, that's repetitive. I should've just copied and pasted someone else's post.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

lynn was good at first, then he ...

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

What the hell happened here? Paging the Lynn Hoppes thread ...

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

We are just killing time until the Poynter crew working as the ESPN ombuds post their take on this controversy. I think it'll hit the web any second now.

10. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

When and if Poynter weighs in, it won't "hit" the web. Land softly, very softly, maybe, but it won't "hit."

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Let me weigh in with what the APSE believes:

APSE strives for fairness, sensitivity and the highest standards of sports journalism. We expect our members to adhere to these standards in every form of our business, whether it be print, digital or broadcast.

Sports journalists welcome dialogue with readers and expect criticism of their work within the bounds of acceptable discourse. Language that is sexist or racist in nature, however, is never acceptable. APSE does not condone the publication of such language by member news organizations, including in reader comments on websites. Comments directed at or resulting from a sports journalist’s gender, race, ethnicity or sexual orientation fall below the standards APSE espouses.

Now, to compare my views with what APSE believes, let's look at the organization's site:

APSE strives for fairness, sensitivity and the highest standards of sports journalism. We expect our members to adhere to these standards in every form of our business, whether it be print, digital or broadcast.

Sports journalists welcome dialogue with readers and expect criticism of their work within the bounds of acceptable discourse. Language that is sexist or racist in nature, however, is never acceptable. APSE does not condone the publication of such language by member news organizations, including in reader comments on websites. Comments directed at or resulting from a sports journalist’s gender, race, ethnicity or sexual orientation fall below the standards APSE espouses.

On with your regularly scheduled thread. The above is meant as a joke, only as a joke. I've made how I feel about APSE and what it has meant to me very clear.

12. carrie

carrie Active Member

Can we stop talking about APSE (I'm at fault for that, as well) - and get back to talking about what is the true subject of this thread?

Anyone who has ever worked with Lynn has known that he was as shady, as lazy and as drama-motivated as they come.

He used to play writers against each other just to sit back and watch the fall-out.

Back in the day at Orlando, he was always referred to as "Deputy Dog". Fitting for a Deputy Sports Editor whose only job was basically serving as Van McKenzie's Executive Assistant. You think Lynn had any Editorial control while Van was around? No. Never. Van did the hiring, the ASEs did the assigning and Lynn was just there to take care of the stuff Van couldn't be bothered with - ie. emails, meetings, scheduling. Deputy Dog.

To say that Lynn did an excellent job in Orlando is irresponsible and undermines everything that Van McKenzie did during his tenure at the OS. Lynn didn't hire anyone, he didn't find anyone and he certainly didn't keep anyone. Deputy Dog.

My favorite Lynn story was when he "interviewed" for the SE job at the Chicago Tribune. He made this big display to everyone that would listen that he "cut the interview off" because he didn't like the people, didn't like the setting when the fact is ... he went to Chicago because someone wanted him out. The Trib courtesy interviewed him, and then decided not to pursue after having dinner with him before the interview. Deputy Dog.

And this is a guy who openly plays and embraces the race card. His cover letter reads "My name is Lynn Hoppes and I'm an Asian-American journalist." During the hiring process, he has been known to go around asking if people thought a person's name sounded "ethnic".

Not to mention all of the "lifting" instances I mentioned before. And, as some people have told me, his resume is bordering on George O'Leary levels of delusion.

Lynn was not initially enabled by his APSE stature. If anything started his power-enabling, he was enabled by the circle-jerk everyone on this site constantly gave him - even back to the advent of SportsJournalists.com. Everyone loved that he came on, graced them with his presence, threw sweet comments and praise their way, promised to keep them in mind for jobs, etc. And this was all well before he became APSE President. And he would openly mock resumes that SJ people sent him - he saw them as "fan mail".

So let's keep a little perspective. The Hoppes Monster has been created, and while other arms have had a role, so has SportsJournalists.com. And the fact that there is a thread here PAGING HIM and EXPECTING HIM to respond highlights the Hero Worship that SportsJournalists.com has towards him.

The guy is a fraud, has always been a fraud, will always BE a fraud. He is a perfect fit for ESPN - they will never do anything and he will never admit to anything.

/carrieout

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.