1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paging Lynn Hoppes ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riptide, Jul 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The people I'm thinking of, without exception they are heavily involved in attending APSE events and they have been hired by other people they socialize with at APSE events. And neither their former nor future staffs can figure out WTF the big deal is about these supposed great minds of journalism. As Hoppes is the discussion here, and as he is one name that is very closely linked to APSE for the past however many years, it seems relevant.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

you can't spell PEAS without APSE

carry on

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

That's fine - it is the "ripping" Ace and I don't quite get. I can say with confidence I've never hired anyone based off socializing at APSE events. Can't speak for all. I can only speak for me when I say APSE has been a huge benefit to me as a manager and I can also say I have yet to get drunk at one of the conventions. Of course, I've been drunk all of once in 10 years so that isn't saying much.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

APSE may have built up the Hoppes mystique, which might explain some ill feelings.
    But his ESPN shenanigans make me shake my head in disgust.

5. carrie

carrie Active Member

In the right capacity, APSE can serve a wonderful purpose. Unfortunately, for those who haven't been able to be heavily involved, they just see it as an excuse for their bosses to take off for a company-paid vacation to get drunk, glad-hand, look for better jobs, look out for their "people" and pat themselves on the back.

I think it would be a lot easier for people to accept if it didn't cost a paper a significant amount to join as a member (ie. don't have individual memberships - make it a per-entity membership and make it available to all members of the Sports section) AND if they refined the competition process.

6. Moderator1

A significant amount? I must have received a discount.

7. carrie

carrie Active Member

It's still like $300pp, right? Even at larger places, having multiple memberships (like for ASEs, Online Eds, etc.) could be seen as cost-prohibitive ...

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

APSE honoring a known fraud with its highest honor doesn't help its reputation.

9. Moderator1

When did APSE honor him with its highest honor? I don't have the Red Smith winners memorized. Is he one of them?

I paid $375 for two of us, Carrie. Seemed reasonable to me but I'm willing to concede it may not seem that way to others. My APSE costs come out of a separate budget line. I would never take a nickel out of my writers' travel budget to go somewhere.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Albom in 2010.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I've been to a few APSE conventions. I loved them. I still refer back to some of the seminar materials from time to time.

Then my already miniscule training budget got erased. After paying for one convention trip out of my own pocket, I haven't been back. Sadly, I don't see a return on the horizon either.

(On that note, I'd pay cash money if the APSE would stream seminars online.)

I can understand how APSE gets the good ole' boys reputation. But it's not like that once you're there. It's one hell of a learning environment.

12. Moderator1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.