1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Radio running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Apr 26, 2007.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

No. 100 is Joe Morgan...oh, where is firejoemorgan.com when you need it?

2. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Well, I was glad to see John Innes and Rich Lord at No. 46. I freaking love Josh Innes. I am probably one of only two people that love him, but that's OK.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Stephen A. Smith, who has been fired from at least two radio gigs in the past three years for piss-poor ratings, is influential? At what? Sucking?

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Well, Francesca does have the top-rated sports show in the Number one market. He is also syndicated nationally during football season on his Sunday show.

The Talkers magazine list is just a bunch of back slapping for radio hosts and I don't know how much validity I would put into any list.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The last time I saw "Vic the Brick," he was doing a routine in the ring before the Ward-Abraham fight in Carson. Nobody could tell if he was serious.

As for the NorCal hosts, its a little surprising Bob Fitzgerald and Rod Brooks didn't make the list at all. Gary Radnich seemed a little high, perhaps because of his longevity in the market on TV and radio. Tom Tolbert isn't as good flying solo as when he was teamed with Ralph Barberri.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Strange. Boomer and carton are just awful. Having them above mike and mike, and light years above Kay is crazy.

7. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Not sure how Dennis and Callahan are #7 nationally when they're not even the #1 sports hosts in their time slot in Boston. Toucher and Rich have been beating them pretty soundly and consistently in that time slot for about 3 years now since the launch of the SportsHub. And while T and R don't talk exclusively sports, they're focus on it at least as much as D and C, who for years dedicated the bulk of their broadcasts to making angry old white guy political rants, generally only turning to sports when something controversial happened with an athlete of color. Fortunately competition has made them change that a bit. D and C still don't have much appeal to the under-50 demographic, but at least they're now a marginally listenable option when the other station is on a commercial break.

8. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Amen and AMEN to that!

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Steve Czaban, who is 96th for his local show, but not ranked for his national morning show, probably is more busy than influential, but he's certainly more entertaining than two guys named Mike.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Andy Furman and Artrell Hawkins are too low on that list. They do a pretty good job noontime on Fox Sports.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know. FSR seems to really like a-hole types with former jocks. Furman, JT, Hartman...we get Furman and Hawkins at 3 a.m. out west. I just think they seem to stay well within the box. Question of the Day, trying to get a rise out of listeners (Contrarianism for the sake of contrarianism).
    The Loose Cannons works as radio more than it does as sports radio since it is such a train wreck and I like Petros and Matt Smith, they seem to stick their head out of the sports section now and then.

12. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Talkers does a top 100 for non sports hosts that has been a joke within the business for years. They appear to have applied the same level of thought and effort into this list. It's absolutely awful, and should be taken seriously by no one.

Draft saved Draft deleted