1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toddler on the move

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bumpy mcgee, Jul 16, 2012.

1. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

My 20-month old daughter has officially scaled the walls of her crib and tumbled to the floor on back-to-back nights. The crib is lowered as low as it will go, but she still can get a leg over the ledge and boost herself over the wall.
    I've been looking at alternatives to going straight to the toddler bed because she will not lie in one to sleep.
    I saw crib tents online, but also a lot of recall notices.
    Does anyone have any advice or a simple solution?

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Can the side be removed to make it into a bed? You might have to stay in the room for a while when you put her down so she'll sleep.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Put barbed wire along the top.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I recall our first when he started getting out of his crib. We had to put the dreaded fence up at the door. He would stand there crying and there we were at the precipice, do you appease him or make him grin and bear it?

Once he knew we were not going to pick him up, he literally just said "okay, I'm going to sleep" and that was it. Once he gets the message, all will likely fall into place.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

shock collar.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Our pediatrician told us that as soon as the kid is standing up and walking on their own, they should graduate to a bed.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If the kid is hesitant to move to a normal bed, treat it like it's a big deal that she's moving to a normal bed. Bribery usually works...

If it doesn't, you and your wife might want to think about sleeping alongside her in the toddler bed until she gets used to it. I would imagine 1-2 nights at most would do it and you'd probably only need to do it until she falls asleep.

The main reason we didn't have an issue is because we explained to my oldest that we needed the crib for the new baby. Our youngest wanted a bed like his older brother, so we got lucky with both of them.

Good luck...

8. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

My son did the same thing, around the same age. We put the side down and turned it into a day bed, but he doesn't sleep on it. He slept on a floor for months — moving his pillow and blankets and such to a spot right next to the door and making his bed there. Now he's decided he likes the couch. But he will sleep in the crib at nap time. I don't know. It works for him, he gets a full night's rest and if he wants to get in the crib he knows how. He's just choosing to explore his options.

9. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

You have just nailed down the "Parent of the Year Award" for 2012 :)

10. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

She's crafty, she'll probably devise an elaborate way to tunnel out. Besides, I'm saving that idea for when she gets to high school

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

With my son, we put the mattress on the floor. I usually laid on the couch in his room until he fell asleep. Eventually, he got used to it and we had him convert to the bed.

12. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Bumpy, I feel really bad for laughing so hard at this. My Diet Pepsi sprays on the computer screen are in no way a poke at the seriousness of your situation. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted