1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More CNHI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by beanpole, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, I guess that's the problem. As someone else explained on another thread, they cut days to make a budget one year. Then that year's reduced budget was used to set the budget for the following year and so on. So it becomes like an avalanche going downhill.

Personally, I didn't mind that part all that much. If you could plan in advance, you could use them as extra vacation days. I got screwed because I scheduled all my days in the middle of a quarter, then had an unexpected family emergency at the end of the quarter AFTER I had already taken my furlough days.

2. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

But you still had (paid) sick and personal days to use for that emergency, right?

But you're right about the budget thing; it just keeps snowballing. I can't imagine getting the revenues back in line to the point where the furloughs are reduced or eliminated — unless they cut staff.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

In my case, I had one personal day and my supervisor graciously let me arrange my holiday days off in such a way to reduce the unpaid days I was forced to take. This all came at the end of December and "borrowing" furlough days against the first quarter was not allowed.

As it turned out, the whole damn family imploded and I ended up having to resign a month later anyway.

But the point is: I scheduled my furlough days mid-quarter, not near a holiday, so as not to be a burden to anyone else on staff. Then an emergency comes up and I'm screwed.

4. Colton

Colton Active Member

Cuts have been made so many times at my shop (especially in editorial), more would make it pretty much impossible to publish.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I wonder if the intent is to turn it into a shopper.

6. Colton

Colton Active Member

I would be remiss if I didn't admit this exact statement has been made at our shop.

7. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Close friend tells me: 80 percent of the papers under this umbrella are rife with equipment and structural problems. They couldn't get a decent buy from anyone interested in a newspaper.

8. No longer work for a CNHI shop, but still have many friends who do. Say a prayer for them. The computers at my shop were out of date when Bush II took office and they have not been replaced yet. But that's beside the point. My question is: I was told all the graphic design people except one were let go and that the ads were being generated somewhere else (possibly in Alabama). The local graphic design person is converting PDFs and ironing out postscript errors. Does anyone know about anything like this going on?

9. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

As someone in the Magnolia State, I can confirm that the Meridian Star has cut a ton of folks and is outsourcing their printing to Jackson. A whole lot of not good. I heard that their pagination is headed to a hub in Valdosta.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Jackson is Gannett, which has outsourced it's pagination to Nashville.

Maybe all this outsourcing should be a topic in the presidential debate.

11. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

So let me see if I'm following this right.
    Jackson's paper is produced in Nashville, Meridian's in Jackson and Valdosta, some North Carolina papers are produced in Richmond and Louisville, and a bunch of south Louisiana papers are produced in north Louisiana. Or maybe New Jersey.
    My head hurts.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

So does mine.

Draft saved Draft deleted