1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most memorable TV moments

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Saw this on the wire the other day, kind of surprised there wasn't a thread about it. Sony and Nielsen did a study asking people what their most memorable TV moments were, based on what they remembered watching, if they recalled where they watched, who they were with and whether they talked to other people about what they had seen.
    Some of these seem like true WTF were they thinking, others (like JFK) feel way too low. I guess that's just the shifting generations, though, and the way they phrase the questions.
    Anyway, figured it might be a fun debate and discussion. What are some of SportsJournalists.com's top moments?

And for the record, here's the top 20 from the original study:

2. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I have to admit that I did not watch one single minute of Hurricane Katrina coverage ...

... mainly because the power was out for 3 weeks after said storm passed right over my house.

3. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

It's just ridiculous to pretend the Kennedy assassination is the 15th most memorable televised event of the last 50 years, just because a lot of the people you polled weren't alive in 1963. If you're really going to claim to assay the entire 50 year period, only people who have memories from 50 years ago should be polled. Otherwise, you aren't really doing what you say you're doing.

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Items bolded are the events I remember exactly where I was when I heard about them or as they were going on (not alive for Kennedy):

5. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Whitney and not Michael Jackson?

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Agreed. I think 9/11 has surpassed JFK for the No. 1 spot, and a strong case could be made for O.J. being No. 2. But seeing JFK any lower than No. 3 or 4, at worst, is a joke. It was a moment that MADE television news and was a seminal moment for a generation, same as 9/11 and O.J.
    Also surprised the moon landing wasn't on there.
    And Casey Anthony? Really? Fifty years and that's in the top 20? I've taken at least a half-dozen shits that were more memorable to me than where I was when the Casey Anthony verdict was read.
    Only thing I can figure is, it's the way they phrased the survey question. Looks like they asked for what was memorable to that person, and not what was memorable in a broader historical context.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

More recent things are more memorable because of their recency.
    It's not measuring importance. No need to get offended.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

Given the big deal made about it, I can't believe Janet Jackson's titty isn't on there.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

9/11 and JFK are 1a and 1b

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Man on the moon?

Jack Ruby?

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

No. 1: When Scooby and the gang found out the Ghost Clown was really Harry the Hypnotist in 'Bedlam in the Big Top,' Scooby Doo episode 10.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Following Gutter's lead...

The one thing is that some of these things (tsunami, Columbine and OKC especially) I didn't see happen on TV. But I watched follow-up coverage of it. I'm not sure if that counts, since it's supposedly the "moment" and not the coverage. So I didn't count them.

Also, for Whitney? All my news came online. I don't think I saw a single bit on TV about it. I just don't watch live TV much.

Draft saved Draft deleted