1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paging Lynn Hoppes ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riptide, Jul 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Keeping in mind that the deskers would be the ones to have to work with him every day.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Boom.

3. ringer

ringer Active Member

No you don't. You learn to manage your time better.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Someone wrote the wiki entry. It's still plagiarism.

5. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

The work is copied from another source without attribution, which makes it a textbook definition of plagiarism no matter what the subject is or whose name is on the byline. I know a guy who got busted from a pro beat to the rewrite desk for doing the same thing. Why should this be any different?

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

It's absolutely plagiarism. Just because a story is un-bylined elsewhere, you're presenting someone else's work VERBATIM without attribution. And Deadspin has very clearly shown a rampant pattern. You can't cut and paste even the most basic of background information like that. If ESPN allows him to continue writing for them, they're condoning the practice.

7. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

@ Pseudo:
    It's clearly plagiarism and it's a huge embarrassment. That shouldn't even have to be said on a site like this. There are different levels of plagiarism though and what he did here doesn't rise to the level of what Maureen Dowd did in 2009 in an incident discussed on this site for which I don't think she was even suspended for. It wouldn't have taken Hoppes much effort to paraphrase Wikipedia and nobody would care. He wasn't full on lifting someone else's ideas, as Dowd did.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/69869/

@ringer:
    Depends on the demands. None of this would have been acceptable in the Age of Newspaper and it stinks now, but let's not pretend that there's no correlation between journalists cutting corners and unreasonable demands being made of today's journalists. This is an inevitable consequence.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Huh? He did this multiple times, it wasn't a one-time occurrence.

9. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

I'm not saying if he gets fired over this it's the world's greatest injustice. Far from. But this is small-time stuff compared to what Maureen Dowd did and I the more interesting story is what environment we're in where somebody who commands Hoppes' stature does this.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Reading what you write hurts my head for several reasons. However, how does one "command a stature?" Stature is, by definition, "quality or status gained by growth, development, or achievement." Therefore, you can't command what is gained by development.

Your points on this thread are stupid, and reckless, and embarrassing. I would strongly suggest not typing any for a while.

11. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Now that's fuckin funny!

12. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

So sports journalists should be held to different moral and ethical standards than other, "real" journalists?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.