1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cocktails, Spirits and Mixology Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, May 15, 2012.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Going through this thread and seeing the ginger beer mention prompted me to post about this, YF.

Then, I saw your follow up with one of the most underrated drinks on the planet.

Gosling's and ginger beer.... addicting as all get out.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

This intrigued me and nearly had me set to investigate -- until I saw the magic and dreaded word.

Grappa.

A former co-worker of mine went crazy about this at a South Carolina restaurant several years ago. He ordered it all around. One sip and my tastebuds and tongue went into seizures. It was like tasting grape-flavored battery acid -- one of the most disgusting things I've ever imbibed.

To this day, the mere mention of grappa causes a near-involuntary pucker. So if this Pisco is being compared to grappa, I'll pass, thanks.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If Pisco isn't your thing, how about cachaça:

[​IMG]

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

My last three nights before heading back to Afghanistan have/will include(d):

Last night: Midleton Very Rare Irish Whisky
    Tonight: Bushmill's 1608
    Tomorrow night: Bushmill's 12 (only available at the distillery)

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Displaced journalists will now inundate the cachaça industry with applications for PR jobs.

6. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

Some liqueurs like this walnut version are not really meant for drinks. If you like sweets, make two or three yellow or chocolate cakes in nine-inch rounds, douse each layer with the liqueur, spread on some nice homemade butter cream icing and wala. Or chocolate truffles are very easy to make, pour the liqueur into the chocolate before it hardens and you roll it into little balls. As far as drinks, yeah, besides alcoholic coffee drinks you're stuck. Is it good straight up?

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

We don't know. Alice wanted to make walnut wine, which we had in France and is delicious, so she ordered green walnuts from California. There were many of them, so she scanned the Internet for various recipes.

8. YankeeFan

Just signed up for this event:

Surely you’ve heard of the “Liquid Gold of Guyana?” No? For years the award-winning lineup of El Dorado Rums have been the best kept secret on our shelves. Not only are they delicious, but these rums are rich in history as well: Demerara sugar cane molasses is the base of rums from Guyana, named for the 17th century Dutch colony, that imparts a trademark rich, fruity sweetness in these rums. El Dorado distills in 18th century wooden stills, including one of the earliest examples of continuous distillation. There’s just too much info to post here. You have to come to this event.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The Secret of El Dorado Rum
    Seminar with Brand Ambassador Stefanie Holt
    Thursday, August 9, 6-8pm
    $10 with Binny’s Card / $15 without
    A Lincoln Park Tasting Room Event
    RSVP: 312-664-4394

[size=10pt]El Dorado Rum brand Ambassador Stefanie Holt will lead us through the history and production that makes El Dorado so special. Stef earned this position through experience and passion: she started out tending bar at Edinburgh’s finest cocktail bars, earning herself a series of awards and industry recognition. She has climbed to international brand ambassador for Demerara Distillers Limited, earning the “UK Brand Ambassodor of the Year” trophy at the Golden Rum Barrel Awards. Don’t miss this opportunity to soak in her knowledge and passion for such a special collection of the world’s finest rums.

http://www.binnys.com/blog/?p=1640

9. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

YF, I had margaritas at a Bobby Flay restaurant that was a bunch of different high end tequilas and simple syrup and maybe not anything else. Do you have a recipe anything like that?

10. YankeeFan

Try this:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/bobbys-margarita-recipe/index.html

[​IMG]

11. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Thanks - that's so easy.

I remember a couple of my dinner companions giving me a long list of expensive tequilas I'd have to buy to make a similar margarita. I'd spend hundreds of dollars to make myself one lousy drink. Do you have a different recipe that does use about 5 different tequilas. Just in case I so moved to invest in an entire shelf of tequila?

12. YankeeFan

The New Culture, courtesy Yusho restaurant, Chicago:

[​IMG]

I went with:

2 oz. Rye

3/4 oz Lemon

1 oz. Home Made Rhubarb Simple Syrup*

Splash of Sweet Vermouth

Dash of Orange Bitters

http://yusho-chicago.com/bar/

*Rhubarb Simple Syrup

1 1/2 cups of rhubarb, roughly chopped
    1 cup of sugar
    1 1/2 cups of water

Place the ingredients into a sauce pan. Bring water to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 15 to 20 mins. Let cool, then strain into a jar.

Draft saved Draft deleted