1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Romenesko and navel gazing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Jul 5, 2012.

1. I like Romenesko, but... some of his pieces spotlighting student-journalist and/or intern screw ups -- he had a frickin' field day with April Fools Day fall out -- strike me as unseemly. It's entertaining, sure, but it makes me cringe to think that some of these kids will be linked to their misadventures for the foreseeable future.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

An early lesson in consequences for stupidity is not untoward

3. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

But what about an early, nationalized lesson?

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

A-FUCKING-MAN

I'd have fired her quicker than you can say "tweetdeck."

Everything about that post is wrong.

Oh, and it's called SOCIAL media not PRIVATE media.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

If he wants to "report" on that stuff, he should just start a website gossip page about college journalists.

Unless there is already!

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Dumb tweet, but Romenesko's gotta have better fish to fry. There's more than enough morons to go around in this biz before worrying about interns.

7. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

So professionalism doesn't extend to interns? Then why are they in the newsroom at all ... other than to provide copy for nothing?

8. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Yet another in a line of college students who think they have all the answers (and should be entitled to the jobs the pros have).

But I agree with playthrough: Romanesko has much bigger fish to fry than a conceited student intern not knowing her place.

9. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

What if the woman doesn't do shit. I work with plenty of people who don't do shit and somehow still manage to have a job. One of our many interns could pick up on that pretty quickly.

And who gives a shit if she points it out? Freedom of speech and opinions don't extend to twitter. I thought the freedom thing was big in newspapers.

Somebody got all butthurt, but has anybody actually thought there may be some truth to it?

But that's right, we're all high and mighty b/c we're full time and we've been in the business for years and years and bow down you ungrateful little college kids ... until you take our jobs b/c you're cheaper.

10. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Oh, baloney!

You were never 18-20?

I did a ton of stupid shit

11. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

She is a part-timer and this woman criticized her for not being in every day.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I was an unpaid intern for 9 months. I probably put in 20 -30 hours a week at that internship and got a grand total of 1 credit per term. Somehow I managed to do it without ever publicly slagging off someone who actually worked there. When it was done, I was hired.

The idea that the poor intern is just young and shouldn't know any better -- fuck that. If that's her attitude, she can get the hell out.

I deal with interns all the time. A lot of them are great. Some of them are just sort of taking up space, but are at least well-mannered. I've dealt with hundreds of interns over the years, and never encountered one who did anything like this. It they did, I promise you their asses would have bounced back to campus.

Seriously, are the standards really so damn low where some of you work that something like this would be even remotely acceptable? Why should anyone in a workplace put up with that?

Draft saved Draft deleted